Friday Night Cake Club For 2/6/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Feb 2015 , 8:58pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 3:31am
post #1 of 25

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share photos of their work, talk about their week, ask for help or provide help if they can. Hope to see lots of cool cakes this week!

Cat

24 replies
catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 3:34am
post #2 of 25

Hi everyone,

My cake this week is for Sunday so while I have everything for it, I don't have it ready yet. It's a layered chocolate cake filled with cream and berries and topped with more cream and berries. The second one is for next Wednesday and is an Icing Smiles cake and is a Sleeping Beauty in the pink dress Doll Cake. The mom seems to be very sweet so I really can't wait for her to see it!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Cat

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 4:23am
post #3 of 25

Made a cake for a BMW dealership this week. I'm not super-pleased with the piping. I got the logo all planned and made, put it on the cake and it looked so empty! So I improved a little piping. The client loved it, so I guess that's all that matters.

catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 4:40am
post #4 of 25

@Naivohw End of the day having a client be happy is the best news you can hope for. We are all very hard on ourselves...I know I am!

I love the logo and yes, I , too would have thought the cake was fairly bare without the piping.

Cat

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 6:28am
post #5 of 25

ACat, your cake sounds delish! And i can't wait for your Icing Smiles cake! I got my first call to action for this April for a little boy!!! I haven't spoken to the mother yet, but from the email she wants a dream cake for her son :) so excited!

Here's my cake for my friend's son. She provided the topper. It's my birthday tomorrow (technically today already since it's past midnight) so i told her that i don't want to spend hours the night before on a cake, i just want to relax! Hehehe

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327906/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 8:00am
post #6 of 25

I'm getting started on my Valentine's Day sweets. Will be making rose buds for cupcakes, molded chocolate pops (roses, hearts, bears w/hearts, etc. I have an idea to use cake lace around cupcakes to make them look a bit frilly. I hope it works out. I have to run to a warehouse to pick up more cases of cookies, then run back and stick close to home.  We are in the depths of GS cookie sales, and since I am the cookie connection, I get to make runs to cookie booths as girls run low.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 9:41am
post #7 of 25

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327925/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327926/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I made the dinosaur cupcakes for my friends son. Was quite last minute, but he was happy, so all good

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 25

Hi Cat.

I love the cakes on FNCC.  I made this cake a few Fridays ago, it is the product my husband's company sells.

I have posted what it looks like and then a picture of the cake I made.  It looked much better in person because the knobs had more detail than what shows.

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 25

AThis weekend I am working on an R2D2 cake but I also had my parents visit so I whipped up a lemon cake with rasberry SMBC - yum! [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327969/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 25

A@naviohw I think piping sets off the BMW cake perfectly.

@mattyeatscake happy birthday nice cake as always.

@julia1812 love the dinosaurs

@norasmom good job on your cake.

@melsbakescakes your cake looks yummy. Looking forward to the R2D2 cake.

Cat as always looking forward to seeing your cake. I am sure it will bring a smile to her face.

:-)

catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 25

@mattyeatscakes Love the Planes cake! I'm jealous that you have so much notice on your Icing Smiles cake...the best I've ever gotten is two weeks. I've been called several times but this is my 4th time I've been able to say yes. I just love it!

@gscout73 cookie time is crazy time! I'm not starting on my sweets (just a single cake for me) till Wednesday. Sounds like you really do have a lot on your plate!

@julia1812 LOVE your "logo" in the back left hand corner! SO awesome!

@melbakescakes Now you make me want to EAT cake! LOL! Can NOT wait for your R2D2! Hope you share it next week!

@Norasmom Good work! So was this for a party at your hubby's work?

We are headed up to a wildlife refuge today..it's our "Valentine's" outing together. Something we both love.

See you guys later!

Cat

sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 2:33am
post #12 of 25

AGreat job everyone!

It was a slow week for me, I made requested cupcakes and a cake for the Wilton course 1 that I teach (it was the last class of the first course and my BC melted on me :-().

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328154/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328155/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328156/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

autumnwind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autumnwind Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 25

Hope every one is having a great weekend!

When a cake takes me as long as this one, by the time I'm done I'm usually "over it".  But this one I still like loll! For a friend who loves his Yorkie, Grace, and tending flowering his yard.

Buttercream iced, fondant decorations, gum paste topper.

catlharper Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 25

Another great week for caking! Love your cupcakes and cake @sha1col  and your gardeners @autumnwind is one of the most cheerful things I've seen in a long time! SO cute!

My cake just came out of the oven...I'll share it on Friday!

Cat

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 25

Wow!! All of these are amazing!!

I daren't show mine, I feel so amateurish when I look at this site :D

catlharper Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 25

@CoinUK we all started out somewhere. Please DO share your photos! We love cakes of all types and all levels of skill!

Cat

catlharper Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:03pm
post #17 of 25

@CoinUK Please DO share with us your cakes! We all started out somewhere and, here, we love all types of cakes and all skill levels!

Cat

canacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canacake Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 25

AI made cookies this weekend rather than cake. My husband and his friends play a card game and these are the symbols on the cards. He is having friends over at the end of the month for dinner and cards. I made this so far in advance because we are about to start renovating our bathroom on our main floor and I know I won't have time and will not want to be baking and decorating in construction dust. They should freeze well. Be kind folks, these are only the second batch of flooded cookies I have done. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328439/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

catlharper Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:38pm
post #19 of 25

I am always in Awe of anyone who does cookies...they are SO beyond me. I can never get them to look the way others do. I now have a reliable vendor who makes them for me! LOL!

Cat

canacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canacake Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:41pm
post #20 of 25

AMy biggest issue was getting the outline nice and round on the base colour. For the images on top I cut out templates and used a food safe marker to trace around them, no way I was free handing that!

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 2:35pm
post #21 of 25

Didn't make a cake last week, but I have a major order for this weekend. I've made this 2D Elsa out of gum paste for my upcoming Frozen cake:

catlharper Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 25

@SweetShop5 She's lovely! Can't wait to see the whole cake!

Cat

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 8:51pm
post #23 of 25

Well, this was my last cake. 

Please bear in mind I've been doing this as a hobby for less than  year now and I can see lots of flaws on it, mostly due to not letting the fondant set properly which has caused Daddy Pig and Mummy Pigs tummys to sag :D

Still, the 18 year old loved it, so that's good :)

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 8:55pm
post #24 of 25

Yeah, know what you mean. I thought I did an ok job...until i joined CC,roflmao. On the upside, it gives me a goal to shoot for :) oh darn...i need more practice, not like i enjoy it or anything ;)

catlharper Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 8:58pm
post #25 of 25

@CoinUK I think your cake is awesome! You have natural talent there..keep working on refining it! I think you will see that the more cakes you do the more your level of skill is going to skyrocket!  One of the thing about figures is that you have to let them dry for a long time or add a lot of gumpaste or tylose so that they dry faster. It can be quite discouraging when something doesn't turn out like you had it in your head. Also, keep in mind that we tend to be MUCH harder on ourselves than our clients/recipients are. I'll bet whoever got this cake LOVED it! You have all the right pieces going on there but it sounds like you don't think it's as "clean and polished" as you would like. That just takes time and repetition. Hope to see a LOT more from you as the year goes on!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%