Airbrushes

Decorating By custard79 Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 4:56pm by KathleenC

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone used the airbrush that Duff Goldman has put out? I saw one a Michaels today and was considering buying it with one of the 40% off coupons as this would make it more reasonably priced. But I didn't want to waste my money if it was garbage. I wouldn't be using it a lot, just occasionally. Thanks in advance :)

2 replies
sweetobsesions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetobsesions Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 11:19am
post #2 of 3

AI'm also thinking about buying the same one from Michaels so I'm going to follow this post.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 3

I've been coveting an airbrush for awhile, and received the Duff airbrush kit for Christmas from my daughter.  I know it was bought with a 50% off coupon.  Online you can get airbrush kits, many of which include some colours, for cheaper than the full price at Michaels.  Anyway, I was pleased as punch.  Mainly because I didn't have to pay for it.  :D

I haven't used it for a cake yet (I'm just a hobby decorator, so don't do a ton of cakes), but have played with it a bit, practiced with it on paper, plus watched and read as much as I can online about airbrushing.

My feeling is that the Duff machine is good as a starter.  It will give me something to practice with, and, with practice, will perform as expected, but if you want to do a lot of really, really fine detail, I believe there's probably better kits out there.  Particularly if you're an artist, which I'm not.  :)

This is one series of YouTube videos I watched that I found really helpful.  He does address the Duff machine, and others like it.

This link is for the first of 7 videos that he has done.

Anyway, I think for any application I plan on doing, the Duff will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%