Stressing A Little And Need Help Quick!

Business By puddles_gal Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 3:22am by julia1812

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 3:56am
post #1 of 6

AI have been contacted by someone in my town who is interested in my baking for a woman's gala coming up in March. The gala is is for women to celebrate fun, encouragement and empowerment, and there is no theme. They are wanting to use cupcakes/desserts for the centerpeices for the tables. I am also going to guess that this event won't be over-the-top fancy, as my small town just doesn't "do" parties like that, lol. They are expecting 100+ women at the event. I am very excited that they asked me to be a part of this, but am completely stressing out about what to even offer! Almost 100% of my business is cakes and cupcakes, and I do bake other desserts, but do not have a price list for them. Using the food as a centerpiece is completely throwing me off, as I don't think having a platter of dainties in the middle of a table makes for a presentable centerpeice, you know? The only idea I have thought of so far are cupcake bouquets, which I have never made before and hence wouldn't know what to charge, but they seem simple enough to do. And not having a theme makes it hard too! Anyone ever done one of these events before, or care to share other ideas as to what I could offer as a sweet centerpeice? I really don't want to lose this order and it could mean GREAT exposure for me in my small town, and I need to email her back right away! Thank you in advance!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:03am
post #2 of 6

You could do a dessert buffet setup and make a few different flavors of cupcakes or whatever you want to promote. Maybe one large cake as the centerpiece and little cupcake minis around it on fancy cake stands.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 6

If you opt do make cupcake bouquets, I'd definitely practice first. It's probably just me but I found cupcake bouquets a nightmare to make- my cupcakes were too soft (they were sliding off the toothpick), the pots I bought were too light so I had to put gravel in them to weight them down, etc etc. I once used the plastic cup method and arranged around a plate. On delivery, hubby drove off too quickly out of our drive and one of the cupcakes flew out.

Cake pops look great on desset buffets- make them upside down to make your life easy- they look just as good as the upright ones.

Costumescar has given excellent advice- a big cake and all manner of cupcakes - mini, regular size, various flavours plus cake pops, cupcake bouquets, some cupcakes decorated in just buttercream, some in buttercream with fondant toppings, and so on and so forth.

Your theme could centre around colours instead of an idea. That way all your cakes coordinate using the colours and you can then use various designs for various cakes and it will all still have a cohesive look.

good luck :)

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:30am
post #4 of 6

AThank you for your suggestions! I did hear back today,and she is not wanting a dessert table and is dead set on having dessert as the table centerpeices instead. I am going to scratch the cupcake bouquet idea, as I have no idea how I would even transport them, and they would be rather expensive after buying all the pots and styrofoam! Not to mention I might have another order for the same day for an event for 350 people, so I certainly don't want to experiment then! Lol. Living in a small town can be so frustrating when people are not open to new ideas. However, I am sure I will come up with something. Thanks again!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

AJust put whatever you make on a pretty plate (thrift shop. They don't need to mstch.) Then put that plate on four upside down wine glasses in the center of the table. Just make sure the glasses are the same height. or you can get vases and put one open rose down in the vase floating on shallow water and set the plate on top of that.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 3:22am
post #6 of 6

AYes, that's what I would do to. Make your own tiered cupcake holders. You find really pretty and inexpensive ideas on Pinterest.com You could make all sorts of desserts. Brandy snaps, scones, toffee... Those are very very inexpensive and relatively quickly made. And on top of the stands you put some decorated cupcakes. You could pipe some BC flowers on them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%