Arranging Silk Flowers For A Wedding Cake

Decorating By lili2308 Updated 15 Jun 2015 , 7:26am by mccantsbakes

lili2308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lili2308 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:44am
post #1 of 3

Hi!

We have a wedding cake to do for next week at the shop.

It is a 3 tier cake, covered in white chocolate ganache.

The lady wants an arrangement of silk white roses on top of the cake.

My boss said that we have to stick the flowers straight into the cake..

I am not really happy about that. First because they are not edible and second for safety reasons. We don't know where the flowers were and I don't feel comfortable sticking the wires straight into the cake. And third, when they will cut the cake, they will have to take out all the flowers one by one. Not only it will look ugly on the top, but it is also for safety reasons (what if a wire accidental stays in the cake..)

What I wanted to do was to use some foam, a half moon shape. Arrange the flowers "on the side". I wanted to stick the bottom of the foam with a cake board and then put the lot on the top of the cake.

My reasons are, this way no wires are sticking onto the cake. when they will cut the cake, they can just take the arrangement off, and the cake will not have random holes all over.

What do you think ?

2 replies
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 3:15am
post #2 of 3

Use a straw, push it in the cake, cut to size so it doesn't show above and push the stems in. If the stems are thick a bubble tea straw works well.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 7:26am
post #3 of 3

Do the straw thing as stated above,  works like a charm.   Also it makes it super easy to take off and rearrange or replace a certain flower if it breaks (gumpaste) or doesn't look exactly right.  

As for aesthetics of what the cake looks like as they cut....there is going to be a certain level of "ugliness" since they are cutting cake.   Unless they wipe the knife with each cut, there will be some drag or messing up of the icing so I wouldn't worry too much about the holes a flower would create for cutting purposes. 

I have read not to stick wires directly into the cake for the exact reasons you stated.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%