Wired Stars/letters Protruding From The Top Of A Cake - Pretty But Troublesome...

Decorating By writezoe Updated 29 Jan 2015 , 11:54am by writezoe

writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 28 Jan 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi – I made stars out of fondant, attached them to wires & dried them for a couple of days.  Then, after decorating my cake in fondant, I pushed them into the top for a ‘firework’ type of 3-D effect.  Only problem is, some of the wires cut through the fondant (sideways) and I had to glob more fondant at the base of each wire so they wouldn’t fall over.  This especially happened closer to the edge of the cake. What did I do wrong?  Should I have let my fondant-covered cake sit for a day before putting in the wired stars?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Zoe

3 replies
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 28 Jan 2015 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 4

It would be a good idea to push in thin straws and push the wire in the straw. If the wire is wiggly in the straw fill the straw using a writing nozzle with either melted choclate or royal icing.

Normally most bakers donot put wire straight into cake.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 28 Jan 2015 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 4

Like sweettooth101 said, wires should not be put directly in to cakes.  They typically are not food safe.  You can use coffee stirrers for one or two thin wires, or if they are relatively close together, put a few wires together and use a bigger straw.  I typically put a little fondant in the straw and then put the wires in to stop the "wiggles." 

writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 11:52am
post #4 of 4

Thanks very much! As you can see, I'm an amateur, but this tip makes total sense! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%