Massive Cake For A Building Shop

Decorating By Immelda Updated 27 Jan 2015 , 2:05pm by Immelda

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 7:21am
post #1 of 5

Hi everybody. I have to submit a quote for a massive cake that a shop wants for celebrating their first birthday.

They want a cake size 2.8m x 1.4m.  Can you believe this!!!!!

They don’t care about flavours and stuff. All they want is their logo on the front and the entrance and exit signs on the cake. The scale of a cake this size is what freaks me out.

Things like transport, will have to take it in pieces, would buttercream be better. Do I have the logos printed on edible paper because they are very specific about the colours and fonts.

Where do I start with this project? I am a bit overwhelmed.

All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

4 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 8:14am
post #2 of 5

Have you established a budget yet, this would be the starting point for me.  I do a lot of corporate work and they always start the conversation with "we want it really big and impressive".  How much they are willing to spend will determine the design and size they eventually agree to.  And yes I use edible imaging especially if the logos have to be exact.

Establish budget first before you waste time working on logistics that may not be necessary.

Immelda Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 8:41am
post #3 of 5

I agree
thank you very much

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 1:50am
post #4 of 5

For us Americans that is 110 inches by 55 inches, more or less. So 6,050 square inches of cake. If it is a sheet cake, 2 inches high, and party-sized portions of 1.5 in. x 2 in (3 square inches) . or smaller wedding-sized portions of approximately 1 in. x 2 in (2 square inches)  that is 

2,017 "party" servings  OR 3,025 "wedding" servings. YIKES!

I agree with the PP to be sure to check their budget is there before you get too involved. I can hear it now, "$5,000.00 for a cake?"   (and even that would be a great deal)

Immelda Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

thank you very much.

I had a chat with the lady at the shop. They are not very forthcoming with their budget. They simply want 3 quotes from different people and will choose the 'right' one.

Very difficult hey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%