How To Flavor Cakes With One Recipe??

Baking By Sweetlovesweets Updated 21 Jan 2015 , 2:42am by AZCouture

Sweetlovesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlovesweets Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

My question is how do you add different flavors to a cake? Right now I am baking essentially a WASC recipe and well flavor comes from whatever box mix flavor I pick but I want to switch to Scratch cakes. I have read on here to just use a white cake recipe you like (scratch) and just add the flavor you want your cake to be. where do I add my flavoring? will it change my recipe if I use a juice, extract, syrup or emulsion? and last but not least will I get the same result if I bake my regular white cake and just do a simple syrup?

Thanks in advance! :D 

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

If you google "cake recipes," there are hundreds of sites. You can read recipes on-line (epicurious, allrecipes, etc.) and learn how they are made. Lots are not white cakes to start. There are also books you can probably get from your local library. Rose Levy Beranbaum's (The Cake Bible) is a good one.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 8

AWhat Shanter said, they are most certainly not just white cakes with flavor added. :D

Sweetlovesweets Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

Thank you ladies! that's good to know that I can use other recipes other than just a white cake and I'll keep looking for recipes. will a flavoring (extract, emulsions, syrup or liquid) change a cake recipe where it will ruin it? thanks 

Sweetlovesweets Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 1:34am
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

What Shanter said, they are most certainly not just white cakes with flavor added. icon_biggrin.gif

AZCouture I saw your live Q&A with the other lovely ladies this morning and because of you ladies I am switching to scratch cakes! thanks for the advice and look forward to the next one... Never thought you would answer  8O8O.. Now to find some scratch recipes that work for me!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 2:31am
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetlovesweets 

Thank you ladies! that's good to know that I can use other recipes other than just a white cake and I'll keep looking for recipes. will a flavoring (extract, emulsions, syrup or liquid) change a cake recipe where it will ruin it? thanks 

Extract won't change the texture of a cake, just the flavor. Emulsions (Lorann's) are the same but stronger flavor. Then again, artificial vanilla extract has less "vanilla-ness" than real vanilla extract. Some people use vanilla paste. There are many, many variations on flavoring that you just have to try some and see what you like.

As far as syrups and liquids go, it certainly depends on what kind and how much. Some recipes are written with "substitutions" such as (you can google these) applesauce cake or orange juice cake. Recipe development is a process. There's not much new under the sun, so take a few recipes, make them, then try to think of what may make them better and try that. It can be a bit expensive, but this is what real bakers do.

Sweetlovesweets Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

Awesome! thank you so much for helping :-)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 2:42am
post #8 of 8

AThat was so fun, can't wait for the next one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%