Covered My Tier With A Mix Of Modeling Chocolate And Fondant But The Color Is Too Bright! How To Fix It Without Doing It All Over?

Decorating By yumkat Updated 20 Jan 2015 , 9:21am by yumkat

yumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumkat Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi caker friends, my title says it all:

I covered my tier with a mix of modeling chocolate and fondant but the color is too bright! how to fix it without doing it all over again? The thing is ORANGE, and it screams "ORAAAANGE" when you look at it. I gave it a pineapple texture with a home made embosser and a bit of modelling; but pineapples aren't dark orange :eek:

So, would you have any idea of ways to improve it? I'm thinking maybe I have a go with the airbrush? or petal dust? both? which colour could I use to make it a bit lighter/ realistic? 

Thank you very much!

4 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure if it would work or not, but could you airbrush white on it to lighten a bit and then airbrush a color closer to what you want? If not, I can't think of anyway to fix it other that to take off the fondant, fix the color (or start over) and then recover the cake.

yumkat Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your reply melmar02 ! I was thinking to give a go with a light coat of almost white yellow with the airbrush and then, once dry, try to define the pattern with some touch of light brown petal dust. Last resort I'd strip it off but I spent so much time on the details that it would really depress me :cry:

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 2:17am
post #4 of 5

If you want it to look more like a pineapple, try brushing it with cocoa powder. It will accentuate your patterning and tone down the brightness factor. The best part: no more food coloring is needed.

yumkat Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 9:21am
post #5 of 5

Hi Kristen, thanks for your idea! Oh my goodness can't believe I'm having a conversation with the Queen of modeling chocolate :party: I'm in France and follow you from here! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%