Buttercream "marbling"???

Decorating By asascakes Updated 19 Jan 2015 , 6:46pm by virago

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 2:51am
post #1 of 4

AHi all, I need some help/inspiration. Is there a name for the type of technique/coloring effect in this TMNT cake photo???

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/cupcaketastic/518959802/

Just wondering how to make that two-toned green "marbley" color or if there's a name for it so I can find a tutorial. It is for a boys tmnt cake so I'm trying to find a good multi green effect for the cake that's not girly like ruffles or pressed pearl/ombré.

TIA -Ace

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 4:44am
post #2 of 4

ADon't know if there is a name or tutorial for it. What I would do is make a light and a dark green BC and mix them together (not too much), then frost the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 5:35am
post #3 of 4

From what little I can see it should be rather easy to duplicate something very close.  Make up some yellowish green; light green and dark green b'creams and put them together in one lg pastry bag w/your 'quick icer' tip.  They will blend together just enough when you pipe it out onto the cake and smoothing will further blend them w/o making it one color.  You might want to try doing it on a small scale just to see how it turns out.

If you don't like that way, then layer the icing color onto the cake by starting w/the dark green as your basic over-all icing then add spots of yellowish green and light green before smoothing it all.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 4

I think 'marbling' is the right technique name...

start with the lightest color, you'll want the most frosting here. the other darker color(s) will require very little frosting to produce the effect. crumb coat with the light color, let frosting set. apply the base light color and grab small amounts of the other color(s) as your spreading the frosting. once you begin smoothing, either with a scraper or spatula, the darker color(s) will spread out. it's a lot like an ombre effect only your not layering colors in a ring...your making splotches.

only a 1/4 C blue and 1/4 C green were needed to add color to an ivory base...

only 1 C dark chocolate was needed to add color to the light brown, and it was almost too much...

hope the instructions make sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%