Magazine Recommends Buying Undecorated Cakes For Weddings......

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 19 Jan 2015 , 4:58pm by Gingerlocks

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 5:19am
post #1 of 11

so today I was looking at the newest wedding magazine by Martha, and on the cake page one persons recommendation was to save lots of money by ordering your wedding cake undecorated & unadorned, then putting on your own flowers and decorations.  I guess that's one explanation why so many people are asking for undecorated cakes.  Not being a baker for business purposes, I would not want to make anyone a plain cake for a wedding, hmmmm.  Pretty cheesy suggestion.

10 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 9:39am
post #2 of 11

I had a bride recently ask if I would bake, stack and cover her cake with fondant so she could decorate it.  I said no.  I know some people say that it's money but I was very concerned about how fresh the cake would be - i finish my cakes the night before the wedding and she wanted the cake ready two days before. So everything has to be done two days ahead and i wasn't happy with that.  Then there's the standard her decorations may have been but that's a different issue.

MBalaska Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 9:59am
post #3 of 11

Hadn't even thought about the freshness issue.  Can you imagine someone getting one a week or so before the wedding and making a proper mess of it.   Yes.....the looks would be the least of the potential problems.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 11

i would explain the freshness thing and try to talk her into one day in advance or a pound cake could take the 2 day time frame -- 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 11

not to mention 'all sales final' cake is guaranteed to the point of pick up -- done -- but decorating a cake is the easiest funnest part but still it saves a bit of time -- i'd do it  -- but i'd give her all the pros and cons -- i tell my brides the wedding taking place is not contingent on the cake being delivered -- bayam!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

so today I was looking at the newest wedding magazine by Martha, and on the cake page one persons recommendation was to save lots of money by ordering your wedding cake undecorated & unadorned, then putting on your own flowers and decorations.

I have done this for  couple brides recently..they are just so persistent! But I always make them sign a waver to the tune of "if you put something on it and damage it..then that's not my responsibility to fix". I find it quite annoying, but at the end of the day money is money; so there's a lot of pressure to just go for it and make the plain cake. It's not something I advertise on my website or facebook page though..

MBalaska Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 11

It has been a bit of a puzzle.  Now I know where were people getting these ideas.  Makes sense not to advertise such a cake, it's like a florists selling someone the greenery with no flowers.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 12:46am
post #8 of 11

This kind of advice has been around forever, just like the "get a dummy cake and cut sheet cakes for the guests stuff. The funny thing is that I sell a lot of gumpaste flowers to brides who are buying a cake from a baker who won't make the flowers themselves, and they're planning on putting the flowers on themselves. So people do sell plain cakes and let the brides decorate them....

I don't see why the baker doesn't order the flowers from me and mark them up, they seem to send the brides on their merry way to find them on their own. And I know that they're not just saying they're getting a bakery cake and letting a friend make it because I ship them directly to the bakery a lot of the time. I just think it's kind of weird to let the bride go out and try to find them on her own.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 4:12am
post #9 of 11

###########NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!

Bridal magazines sell wedding dresses and advertising!!!!!!

They will never say, hey, make your own dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is correct, they cycle this same stuff over and over every year. 

Hey I have an idea for you to save some money, don't buy the magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MBalaska Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 7:42am
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindiM 

..........Hey I have an idea for you to save some money, don't buy the magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can read magazines at the library for free, no need to buy them. Same with cookbooks for those on a budget.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindiM 

###########NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!

Bridal magazines sell wedding dresses and advertising!!!!!!

They will never say, hey, make your own dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is correct, they cycle this same stuff over and over every year. 

Hey I have an idea for you to save some money, don't buy the magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I am getting married this coming September..and those bride magazines are absolutely awful. Its a glorified catalog. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%