Resources For Beginner Wanting To Learn To Model Cake Toppers?

Decorating By Teabiscuit Updated 16 Jan 2015 , 8:22pm by dkltll

Teabiscuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teabiscuit Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I'm new and just found this forum :) I have been decorating cookies with royal icing for a few years and have enjoyed that, but every time I'm in Michaels I wonder if I could try and make the models (is that what you call them?) to go on top of cakes and cupcakes.

So I 'm looking for some simple resources (websites, books etc)  that would give me some basic pointers such as what tools to buy to begin with, what the difference is between gum paste/ fondant etc, and any thing else you think I would need to know for a complete beginner!

Do you know if I could make my own modelling paste of some kind?  I have Celiac Disease and none of the Wilton modelling pastes and gum items that I looked at today in Michaels are gluten free.

I hope this is in the right section of the forum, apologie if not.

Thanks so much!

Sheena

1 reply
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 2

Welcome Sheena. If you go to the search bar on here and type in your questions you will find lots of useful stuff. I also learned tons on YouTube. I love making figures better than making the cake myself. I bought a couple of awesome books by  Maureen Carlson on Amazon. She works with clay and it's very similar to working with fondant & gumpaste (you can even use a lot of the same tools). HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%