Spreadsheet For Cake Pricing.

Business By BecsBakehouse Updated 20 Jan 2015 , 12:00pm by Magic Mouthfuls

BecsBakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecsBakehouse Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 5:25am
post #1 of 3

Can anyone recommend an easy to use spreadsheet that i can use to price up my cake quotes.

I am new to the cake biz and fear that i am way undercharging. I'm in Brisbane Australia

I have recently quoted a 2 tier ruffle cake at $380 about $4.40 a serving. Does this sound about right?

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know about Australian pricing, but I use an excel spreadsheet for tracking costs and retail pricing.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

$380 - $4.40 per serve = 86 serves.  Sounds too cheap to me for Aussie dollars.  That's a USA price.  Was it buttercream or fondant ruffles?

Google some cake decorators in Brissy and look for those that list their pricing.  It should give you a good indication of market price.  I'd expect not as high as Sydney, but city pricing should be up there.

I made a basic spreadsheet for myself on Excel.  Recipe ingredients, qty, pkt qty, retail price = cost of ingredient, cost of boards, boxes, ribbon etc.  Then add estimate for hours x $hourly rate (in Aust no less than $20-$25 as per pastry chef award), an educated guesstimate on utility value, then add some profit.

Small cakes come in around $10-20 per serve, mid size like 86 serves about $8 per serve.  Its not till I get to the bigger 150+ serves that the price comes down to the $5 mark.

The way I look at it is this - a slice of banana bread in McDonalds McCafe is $3.95.  It is massed produced in a factory, using ingredients purchased way below wholesale price, not iced, not decorated and certainly not custom made just for you.   People have no problem paying that.  Why sell your custom made, highly detailed decorated cake, made with ingredients paid retail for,  for a similar price? 

You are an artist making one off pieces.  Charge accordingly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%