How Do Dairy-Free Milk Alternatives Bake?

Decorating By krys121 Updated 16 Jan 2015 , 2:40pm by cheryl848

krys121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krys121 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 5:21am
post #1 of 10

I have a client whose son has a milk (and soy) allergy. Since my chocolate cake typically uses milk, I will need to replace it. Does anyone have any experience with using almond milk in cakes? Does it bake the same way or would I need to adjust the rest of my recipe?

I usually use whole milk, so I'm a not sure how the fat ratio would change in the recipe if I changed it to another type of milk. Any advice about this would certainly be appreciated!

Thank you so much! :)

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

I haven't used it but I bet it would be great.  Choco and almond go together very well.  I really don't thing the change of milk is going to effect the recipe that much but then I don't kn ow the recipe nor the fat content of almond milk.

Also, isn't there milk solids in cocoa?  Don't have any on hand to ck the lable.

Rockabillysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rockabillysugar Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 5:30am
post #3 of 10

I do this fairly regularly. Coconut milk is my favorite alternative for a milk, I also like the Earth Balance sticks for baking and for a butter alternative in frosting. Much better than shortening. You can also use coconut oil as a butter substitute in baking. :)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 6:41am
post #4 of 10

AI've used almond milk in a chocolate cake, it was really good. Cake also had some almond and hazelnut meal. Gosh it was delicious for an allergy friendly cake!

krys121 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much for the feedback! :) Is it a 1:1 ratio or do you think I would need to alter how much almond/coconut milk I put into my recipe?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 12:08am
post #6 of 10

ASubstitute almond milk exactly for the regular milk.

krys121 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 2:12am
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much! So helpful. :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 4:06am
post #8 of 10

I would second the coconut milk - delicious in a chocolate cake, you just sub it out 1 for 1.

Personally I never took to almond milk while I had to be on dairy free and would liken it to replacing milk with water, yuck. I always found that the coconut milk gave the cakes a fluffier texture in such a good way but when I used my almond milk in a cake to get rid of it I found the cake to be a lot drier than usual but that may be also because I just dislike almond milk.

For a dairy free butter alternative I used nuttelex (I think I spelt that wrong) which comes in a tub where the margarine is kept at the supermarket.

I can't speak for all cocoa powder but you can definitely get it dairy/soy free. I missed chocolate a lot while I was off dairy and this was my way of making up for that - Chocolate cake :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 4:33am
post #9 of 10

Check w/customer before using any coconut as many people (me!) are allergic to it:(

cheryl848 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl848 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 10

some of the almond or coconut milks are sweetened with vanilla flavoring.  some are just plain.  make sure that you know which one you are getting and adjust your recipe accordingly.........

cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%