Need Advice On Attaching Large, Heavy Flowers In Cascade To Fondant Cake.

Decorating By MrsLizakowski Updated 11 Jan 2015 , 4:43am by MrsLizakowski

MrsLizakowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLizakowski Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 7:40am
post #1 of 7

AI'm sure this topic has been discussed often but the issue at hand is how folks perceive large and heavy as far as gum paste goes. Many cake makers have expressed concern about adhering "large" gum paste flowers to cakes, only to be (in my opinion) medium sized flowers which I could effortlessly attach. This definition of large is of a much greater degree. I was commissioned to make a four tier fondant wedding cake with a cascade of mostly peonies. Seeing how the bride insisted on gum paste flowers, I was left with no option and have been preparing these peonies for weeks in advance. However they're much heavier than I'd anticipated and while they're firmly fastened to posey picks (or floral spikes) I have many misgivings about how well these heavy flowers will hold up on an already load bearing cake. My concern is causing subsidence in the cake or pulling the fondant off. And I mean large, like dinner plate peonies. A couple being up to 5" in diameter. Should I count on melted chocolate, dipping the posey pick in chocolate before sticking in the cake along with dabbing a bit where the flower sits against the fondant? Also, can I assemble it all in my house and transport it a few blocks to the venue? I've made wedding cakes before with gum paste flowers but I've never been so overwhelmed by such a predicament. What can I expect here? Could some of you oblige? Photos for clarification to follow. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

AThis is what worked for me. I set up my 6 tiered cake at the venue. Then I placed my 30 to 40 heavy roses starting at the bottom and then proceeded to balance the next roses on top of those going up the cake. I had my roses on real long skewers which really helped. I was able to criss-cross the skewers which also helped hold them. I also made about 10 small gum paste ruffles to fill in spaces. My roses were not as big as your peonies and I used styto foam centers to cut down the weight. If I were you, I would make some lighter ones with lighter centers to help balance the heavy ones.

MrsLizakowski Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 7

This is what I have completed for the gumpaste peonies. I do have roses, leaves and foliage to complete in addition to these. As I had mentioned, these are on posey picks.

Cindi, thank you for your advice. Did you happen to use added reinforcements, i.e. royal icing, melted chocolate? Thanks.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 7

Those peonies are very pretty!! Good job!!

MrsLizakowski Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 7

AWhy thanks! :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7

I'd use melted white chocolate, that will dry like cement. I've done a lot of buttercream cakes with big peonies on them, and I just use more buttercream to attach them securely once the "stem" is inserted into the cake. I do start at the bottom and work my way up, too. As long as everything is stuck to the surface of the cake and supported by each other they'll stay in place.

MrsLizakowski Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 4:29am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much! I remain hopeful..Those cakes are outstanding, by the way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%