Chiffon Cake

Baking By sweettooth101 Updated 30 Nov 2019 , 12:47am by sweettooth101

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8
                                                           CHIFFON CAKE

White chiffon cake

Follow recipe below leaving out 1/2 cup cocoa and replacing with 1/2 cup cornstarch

Chocolate  Chiffon Cake

Prepare a round 11'' x3''deep pan by greasing only the bottom (NOT THE SIDES) and lining the bottom with parchment paper.

1 3/4 cup flour (all purpose)
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoon baking powder
1      ''       salt
1/2 cup cocoa
Sift all above together in a large bowl

seperate 7 eggs

Whisk the 7 egg whites and 1/2  tsp cream of tartar until peaks form. 

In a seperate bowl combine:
7 egg yolks
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup boiling water
   Mix  the above ingredients well.

Add the wet  to the dry ingredients mix thoroughly.

Gently fold in half of  the beaten egg whites, then the second half,  careful not to over mix

Pour into prepared cake pan.
Bake at 350  for 45 minutes or little more, depends on oven. Test with a toothpick or skewer, insert in center, should come out clean.

TIP;
As soon as the cake comes out of the oven place a cling wrap on the  hot pan across the center of the cake, leaving sides open and turn the whole pan upside down on counter top to cool. Rest the rim of the pans on a couple of butter knives or  spoon handles.
This trick stops the cake from sinking and keeps it moist.

For wedding cakes mist  lightly with sugar syrup flavoured to your liking when torting.
Use a spray bottle or brush with pastry brush.

7 replies
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

Ok, I have a really dumb question to ask.....when you say to place cling wrap on the hot pan across the center of the cake leaving the sides open, are you talking about "plastic" wrap? 

sweettooth101 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 8

It is a little confusing to understand, I quickly took a couple of pictures to help. It's NOT a

cake in the pan just a cloth to show how the plastic/cling wrap goes. Across the cake, enough opening on the sides to allow steam out and not create a vacuum by being air tight. hth.

My daughter just walked in and said Oh how come I didn't smell the cake, and when she realised it's a cloth she says I won't ask what you doing lol.

Gerle Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 8

lol.  I can see your daughter's confusion.  I was just thinking that putting cling wrap on a hot pan would melt it, making quite a mess.

sweettooth101 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

It doesn't make a mess at all but if you are not comfortable with cling wrap use parchment paper instead but do be careful when flipping over. 

Some recipe call for chiffon cakes to be turned over inverted glasses/mugs. I have never done that.  I have used this recipe for more than 20 years. In the beginning I had the issue of the cake sinking until I started using this method. 

Gerle Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 8

I've never made a chiffon cake yet.  I've always wondered about them and have toyed with baking one, but haven't done it yet.  I just might have to try your recipe soon.  I'll be baking my youngest son's wedding cake in June and have been trying to decide which cake to make.  I'll be doing a tasting next month for them.  Maybe I'll throw in a chiffon just to see how they feel about that type of cake.  They still have to decide if they want a tiered cake or cupcakes.  They haven't fully decided yet.  They want a cake to cut for them, but don't know if they want cake for the guests, or cupcakes for a larger variety of flavors for the guests.  I'm a little nervous about it because I've never made a wedding cake before, but I plan on doing a lot of practicing between now and then.

sabash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabash Posted 26 Aug 2019 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

Hi @sweettooth101

I know this is a very old post, but I've been using your chiffon cake recipe for years and absolutely love it!

But just the last time I made it, I noticed the cake was soft like it should be from the edges, but the center of the cake seemed to be harder and drier, if that makes sense. 6 inch cake, the outer 1 inch was soft and yummy, but the insides were not the same texture at all. It was firm to the  touch.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

Hope you're well. And thank you for such a wonderful recipe! xox

sweettooth101 Posted 30 Nov 2019 , 12:47am
post #8 of 8

Hi Sabash, Sorry for the late response. I am puzzled as to why the center of your cake was drier then the edges, usually it is the other way round. 

It could be because it is smaller and maybe the heat got to the middle part quicker, you could place a foil midway of baking about 15 mins after you place in the oven, to slow down the center cooking . Does this happen every time you make a 6''? Or for this particular time the batter might not have folded evenly.  

I am glad you like the recipe.  I am well thank you , not making wedding cakes any more so I 'm not on cake central much, I was addicted at one time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%