Customer Wanting To Drive Wedding Cake To Fl?

Business By livin4ever Updated 9 Jan 2015 , 3:05am by leah_s

livin4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livin4ever Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 5

A customer contacted me about doing a small Dr. Who themed wedding cake. I've never done a wedding cake before, just birthday and baby shower cakes, but I agreed to do it since it is small and simple. After getting all the details arranged, she tells me she is going to be getting it 3 days before the wedding and driving it up to FL for the wedding (I'm in GA, so Fl is a good drive from here). She wants me to freeze it for the drive up there, but I'm worried about it not thawing properly or just collapsing entirely during the drive and also about the cake being dry since it will be made 3 days before the event. I'm starting to wounder if I should just tell her I can't do it? Has anyone ever handled a situation like this? Any tips? Just looking for imput please :-) Thanks!

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

It can be done.  I made and froze a small fondant wedding cake and a little larger bc graduation cake and drove from Texas to California.  However, there are some precautions and your customer has to take some responsibility here.

First of all, unless those are tiny tiers, this isn't that small a cake.  But that's not really the concern here.  As long as you're confident you can do it, you can do it.  Freezing won't dry out a cake like refrigerating does as long as it's wrapped properly.

It is possible to wrap and freeze the cake already assembled, provided you have the freezer space.  I don't freeze multi-tier cakes assembled so I can't really speak from experience on that one.

Box each tier separately.  Double wrap each box in plastic wrap and freeze.  The customer is going to have to accept the cake as is.  She is going to have to keep it frozen, transport, thaw and stack the cake herself and won't be able to blame you if anything goes wrong along the way.

Depending on what time of day the wedding is to be held, the cakes need to be set out to thaw - STILL WRAPPED - for at least 6 - 8 hours.  That way, any condensation will be on the wrapping and not on the cake.  The tiers need to be ready for her to stack, hopefully at the venue so it won't need to be moved afterward.

If your customer is willing to accept the responsibility for all this, I would say go for it; however, once she realizes that you're done with it when she picks it up, she may change her mind.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 12:20am
post #3 of 5

If your cake lasts that long (WASC maybe?) and it is stacked properly, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe make the topper separate and have them add it on site? I can't tell what is on the top of the police box in the photo, but it might make it unstable for that long of a drive.

livin4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livin4ever Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 2:19am
post #4 of 5

Thank y'all both so much for your advice! I really appreciate it :-) I wound up just telling her she was going to have to stack them herself and gave her instructions on how to do so.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 3:05am
post #5 of 5

AYou know, SPS was *designed* so that cake civilians could pick up and transport their own cakes. Obviously it would work and youcould send the cake assembled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%