Hay Topper?

Decorating By Jealena Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 6:46pm by Jealena

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 6

A[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I am doing a tractor/hay cake for my grandson. The top layer looks like a hay field with a fence around it. Doing a tire bottom layer, and the logo bday greetings middle layer, Thought doing hay with a pasta maker in either gum paste or fondant, it kind of stands up on top, how do they get it to stay on the sides of the cake as well as stand, It looks like a lot of hay, any ideas on how to do this, as well as getting it all to stand so the tractor can sit on top of it???

Thanks for any help, I know this is the place to go for....

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 6

i can't think of a good as in efficient way to do that -- it would seem to be rather tedious to get spaghetti type strands of fondant or whatever to stand -- i would use a grass tip and pipe it on myself --

can you post a picture of the cake? that would help

Jealena Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 6

AHere is the pic of the hay, perhaps this will help??

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 6

y'know-- once you attach some to the sides you will have the support you need to continue across the top -- just make your 'pasta' and apply with some piping gel or moisten the surface of the fondant -- you are covering the cake w/fondant?

if you've got buttercream on there -- and it's a meringue bc it will probably stick as is -- if it's crusting abc --see how it adheres before it crusts -- then again i'd use some piping gel on the crusted surface -- 

that's how i'd approach it --

that's adorable

Jealena Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks so much! Yes I am doing AMC so I'll go ahead and do sides and work in from there, that is probably the only way to get it to stand. I am doing rest of cakes in fondant but thought BC best on the top layer for something to adhere to. Again, thanks for answering I certainly appreciate it...:smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%