Calling All Tennessee Bakers... Y'all

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 6 Jan 2015 , 2:32pm by -K8memphis

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 11:52am
post #1 of 4

AHello all, need help regarding a wedding cake for my daughter. We recently relocated to Tennessee from New York. Although the weather has been mild compared to NY winters, I am told by neighbors that it gets quite humid in Tennessee during the summer months. Our daughters wedding is set, outdoors on a small farm for June 27th 2015. It will be a small venue of approximately 50 and would like a 3 tiered cake. I figured best way to go is a dummy cake with top tier real so she can freeze it and have it on her first anniversary. But she also wants another tier she can cut for pictures. We both figured a sheet cake would be best for serving guests. I am not sure how fondant would hold up in that kind of heat or humidity... even in a dummy cake. Or would we be better off doing butter cream or royal icing. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. G_cakes

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 4

welcome to ten oh c :)

what time of day? is the small farm west, central or east tn? your guests will likely be melted more so/as much as the cake if it's typical late june weather -- is there no air conditioning?

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 4

AI do believe it will be done early afternoon possibly 3pm but not sure on that exact detail, no a/c as its outdoors on a horse farm in Greenbrier TN. I am starting to think it might be better to do this in the early evening perhaps at dusk.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 4

later is better but wedding attire mid afternoon in tn outdoors is gonna be a sweatfest -- i mean figure your hottest time of year in ny -- 

this past summer was a shockingly mild summer -- usually at the fedex st jude golf tournament here in west tn in may the guys literally melt -- just a waterfall of sweat where i don't even know why they come here & play -- but this year i even went & it was awesome --

the cake can be made secure as you already know but unless the weather changes drastically you'd want to have your guests dress light & airy -- have some fans  and things like that -- i mean horse farms need a lot of flowers and aromatherapy kwim?  

me? i would try & talk my kid into another venue but it didn't work for me -- my boy got married in mid september outdoors 6-ish -- the weather was great and it all worked out but it was stressful to do up a cake for an outdoor event -- but we had gus' fried chicken cater it -- omg they cooked it right there outdoors -- wow it was awesome -- 

i set the cake up in direct sunlight that within 10 mins slipped behind a tree -- perfect

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%