Can I Freeze Fondant Cake?

Decorating By kristyhansen Updated 4 Jan 2015 , 1:10am by kristyhansen

kristyhansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyhansen Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:14am
post #1 of 6

AI'm a total newbie to fondant and want to attempt a simple design for my daughter second birthday with a Minnie Mouse theme.... Since I'm not sure how successful I will be I'm wanting to make it ahead of time incase it doesn't work and I need a new plan.... I was going to make the marshmallow fondant recipe.... Can I make and decorate the cake and then freeze until I need it?

5 replies
ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:35am
post #2 of 6

AAbsolutely. I do it all the time. :-D

kristyhansen Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:39am
post #3 of 6

AIs there anything particular I need to do? What are the steps you follow?

ammcats Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

ATo be honest, you will get as many suggestions as there are letters in the alphabet. It is more about the thawing than the freezing I believe. I have tried it two main ways. Neither was better than the other for me. Once decorated, place in cake box and wrap several layers of cling wrap around box to seal it. Place in freezer. The other way I have done it, once cake has been covered with fondant, wrap cake in several layers of cling wrap, place in plastic bag and Into freezer. Decorate when thawed.

To thaw: day before party, remove cake from freezer (DONT UNWRAP IT). Place in fridge. Morning of party remove from fridge and place on counter. Leave for minimum of four hours. Then unwrap. I'm not scientific, but this has to do with condensation. If there is any condensation on the cake - DONT TOUCH IT. leave it to air dry. Place a fan to blow gently overt. I freaked when I found out my sister used a hairdryer to dry off the last of the condensation, luckily no harm was done and the cake was perfect. This is the cake after coming out of the freezer, everything you see was frozen on it. Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3290783/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

ammcats Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

AOops, sorry the link doesn't seem to work. In my pictures it is the bridal shower one.:-D

kristyhansen Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6

AThanks so much :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%