Isomalt Crystals

Decorating By lillyanne Updated 2 Jan 2015 , 7:59pm by julia1812

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 10:30am
post #1 of 8

I want to get Diamonds/diamante on a cake like this. This is NOT my cake.

Can I make them from isomalt?

Is Hard plastic or silicon mould better for isomalt?

How far in advance can they be made and how do I store them so they dont go cloudy and dull?

And finally How do I attach to fondant cake so that they still appear clear? Can I use edible glue? Im afraid if i use royal icing then the colour of the royal icing will show through and make them look white?? Mayb im being really stupid here but iv never used isomalt before

Many thanks everyone in advance

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

Aidk if it was me i'd do them last minute to avoid the cloudiness -- then you gotta figure out how to pick up and apply them without marring -- then you really need to color the bottom of each one silver so it reflects like a rhinestone -- by then or even just thinking about it i've gone worse stark raving mad and my advice is pour chocolate and color them silver or dust with pearl or use gum Arabic in royal icing and pipe pretty pearls --

not that it can't be done but just figuring out how to keep that stuff at temperature to pour into those tiny molds -- pipe them in -- no i've done it and i've survived for the most part but i'd recommend buying them if you must and don't open until you place them on the cake on site

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 8

Await -- i mean i've piped and poured them and pondered how on earth to get a quantity of them on a cake successfully -- and i've used sugar, isomalt and that other more expensive stuff i can't think of the name of

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 8

thanks K8memphis. I have seen them to buy but just thought isomalt would be cheaper as i have some here although iv never used it. When you say to paint the back of them silver, what silver would you use? Luster mixed with vodka? or a silver paint? (I thinking of this even if i do buy them) And then just stick on with edible glue??

The thing is that it is for my cousins wedding which I will be attending so i dont think i would have time that day on site to stick these little buggers on 3 tiers of cake.  Would non edible ones be a real no no?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 8

honestly i would rather stick a fork in my eye than make these so small and uniform but try it for yourself maybe you will be the isomalt genius i am not  -- you are going to have to invest in molds though unless you already have them -- 

i would probably use this silver foil i have leftover to further feed my madness with how ticky that stuff is -- but yes i would do some kind of vodka/everclear silver paint -- i would stick them on with piping gel probably

i can assure you non-edible ones are a huge no no -- yes it is done but you have to be responsible for each and every one of them so if you don't have the time to place them that day you'd still have to find time to carefully remove each and every one and who wants to do all that -- besides some kid might get there and eat a few in the meantime... before the ambulance arrives --

one of the most important things to remember about wedding cakes is that it is food first and a focal point second -- not that you didn't know that just saying --

something a little less stressful is to use non-edible bling that's on strings -- i know that's not your design up there but that would be much easier to control --

honestly -- gum arabic is what they make edible glitter out of and when you mix it in royal icing it pearlifies it -- it becomes a truly beautiful thing --

but for me i would would buy them no question about it 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 8

AAgree with k8. Buy them! The time to make them and the burn (you will burn your self at least once) is not worth the extra savings.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 8

at least once -- you're lucky if it's only once and it's like a hot iron burn -- it doesn't quit -- forgot about that -- sorta forgot heheheheheh

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 8

You know what, I've never used isomalt before, but just recently there was someone posting "homemade gel" recipe here on cc. I tried it and loved it! It's so easy, it's light, it can be flavored, it has a gum bear consistency and it can be colored. Don't know how to copy another thread in here, but just check "new posts", should be still on page one. I remember she even made some jewelry pieces!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%