Help With A 3D Peppa Pig Cake Please

Decorating By louglou Updated 3 Jan 2015 , 9:03pm by louglou

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all. Happy New Year.

I want to make a 3d peppa pig cake similar to this for my daughter's 3rd birthday but need some advice on the head please.

I've considered 3 options:

1. Use all RKT for the head. I'd rather not do this.

2. Use RKT for the snout and attach it to a ball shaped cake. How would I attach it? Would it be best to attach first and then cover in bc and fondant or attach it ready covered and then blend the seams?

3. Use a hemisphere cake for the bottom half of the head and then a board (foam core?) cut to shape with cake on top carved to shape. How would I round and cover the part under the board?

Or is there a better option that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance for you help.

8 replies
louglou Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 8:54am
post #2 of 9

ACan anyone help please?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 10:48am
post #3 of 9

Asince you seem to want it edible and not rkt -- i think i would treat the neck and lower face as a short tier and dowel it -- use a foam core board on top of it big enough to also set the snout on -- i'd cover with modeling chocolate so i could later blend all my seams -- i'd round out the bottom of the snout w/the mc before i placed the board on the neck --

so then finish up carving the snout, cover all with mc and smooth out the seams with the heat of your hand

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 10:58am
post #4 of 9

Ai mean when you set the foam core board on the neck & lower face -- the bottom of the snout will already be fashioned on the bottom of the board hanging off there -- so the rest of the head will hold that down on there -- then just blend the mc into the bottom of the snout so it doesn't get too heavy --

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 11:03am
post #5 of 9

Aif you need to you can attach the mc bottom of the snout with melted choco but if you just texture the foam core the mc will stick on there but attaching with melted choco is a little more insurance -- 'texture' just take a fork or a steak knife and ribble up the surface of the foam core a bit

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

If it was me I would place a board at the very bottom of her snout spanning across the head . Cut this to shape ensuring it also fits within the snout itself. This will support the cake on top which will be cut to shape. If you look closely you may see in the image a line at the around her head in this area.

The board can be dowelled as you would any normal wedding cake. We have created a few cakes very similar to this design but with different characters all made using the same process...

Here is one

http://www.sweetassugarcakes.com/katsuma-cake

louglou Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks K8Memphis - you always give such good advice. I'm going to do as you suggested but I'm thinking of using fondant rather than modelling chocolate. I know the seams won't blend as well, but I really don't fancy making modelling chocolate again.

Thanks also sweetassugarcake. Fab cake. Do you use fondant or modelling choc?

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 9

the katsuma cake was made with fondant but we do use alot of modelling chocolate for our figure work especially if we need it to hold its shape. If its any help you could always add glycerine to your fondant that way it will blend much easier and the seams will disappear. :-)

louglou Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, that's good to know. I have some glycerine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%