Question From A Uk Hobby Baker

Decorating By imanjan Updated 29 Dec 2014 , 11:39am by petitecat

imanjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanjan Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 11:32am
post #1 of 2

AHello everyone I have been asked to make a 3 tiered square cake (8,10, and 12 inch) for a babyshower. They want it to be vanilla sponge filled with fresh whipped cream BUT covered in fondant. Is it possible and has anyone tried it before? once filled and crumbcoated with cream i am thinking of chilling the cakes overnight and then covering them with fondant and stacking JUST before pick up time. Is there anything I should be careful about/ any advice would be appreciated as I am very nervous Thank you for your time

1 reply
petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 11:39am
post #2 of 2

Hi Imanjan. Apart from ganache, I avoid cream for any of my cakes. It is a perishable filling and requires refrigeration- you can't leave it out at room temp for very long at all. Also you can't cover cream with fondant- there's too much water in cream and makes fondant go all soggy. Have you tried making swiss meringue buttercream (smbc)? It's not quite cream but it's a wonderful alternative- a lot less sweet than amerian buttercream (butter + icing sugar). Hope that helps :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%