Oil Rig Cake?

Decorating By storestore Updated 29 Dec 2014 , 5:48am by storestore

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 1:37am
post #1 of 8

AI am looking to do the effect seen on this cake minus the oil rig on top. The blog that I found the cake on says that the oil effect was done using chocolate ganache oil. Any idea what is meant by this? I know what ganache is (although I've never used it), but I'm not sure what ganache oil is. Thanks! http://mainmadecakes.wordpress.com/tag/oil-rig-cake/

7 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 9:51am
post #2 of 8

It looks like they used freshly made ganache, and poured whilst still warm/hot.  I think the title should have read chocolate ganache for the 'oil'.  Rather than it being a special type of ganache.

You could also use a chocolate mirror glaze - I think patissiere Adriano Zumbo has a recipe for one - but ganache is by far very easy and only 2 ingredients.

storestore Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Magic. That is what I thought. Now my only question is... Buttercream or fondant? Would warm ganache ruin the surface of the buttercream? And how much ganache? I don't want to accidentally cover my entire cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 8

we used a generous amount of oil in our chocolate ganache fountains -- flows better -- don't know how that figures into the pictures though because nothing is moving -- idk

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 28 Dec 2014 , 1:58am
post #5 of 8

Buttercream or fondant...you choose.  Both would be fine.  I have made a 'melted chocolate icecream' on a cake iced in cream cheese frosting and it worked brilliantly.

I guess whatever your cake icing - let the ganache cool down as much as possible but still runny.  Slowly pour over cake until you get the look you are after.  I recall deliberately pouring right on the edges in strategic places to create an even looking overflow / drip line.  You wont need to make much - maybe 100-200g of chocolate/50-100g of cream.

I think I may also have 'dropped' my cake from a small height (say 1 inch) onto the bench to help settle /smooth out the ganache - just like you would 'drop' your chocolate moulds to remove air bubbles or 'tap' your cake pops.

There is also a 'ganache' recipe that uses chocolate and butter (instead of cream) - I'm thinking it might make for a more shiny look?

Other people use 'Ice Magic' (not sure if you have that product in your country) but I have heard it takes ages to set when not used on icecream. 

K8 - ooh I've never thought to use ganache in my chocolate fountain - that sounds delicious!!!  I do have to add a horrible amount of oil to make it flow tho, especially with milk chocolate, and therefore it tastes rather sickly too quickly.  You now have me thinking that a ganache made with extra cream (ie a chocolate sauce) would be ideal for the fountain.

storestore Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 2:04am
post #6 of 8

Alright, I tried taking fresh warm ganache using the "traditional method" explained on this page. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/master-ganache-recipe.html.  I immediately poured it onto a chilled buttercream cake but I don't think it was hot enough or runny enough because it just blanketed the top of the cake and a bit of the sides. It didn't make nice oil-drops that run down the cake like in the picture in my original post. Should I add a bit of oil? Shortening? Butter?

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 4:42am
post #7 of 8

Did you remember to pour onto the edge of the cake (in various places around the rim), so that it oozed down the sides in the 'right places' .  You could do this pouring delicately with a dessert size spoonful - rather than straight from the saucepan.  

I am not sure how big your cake is, therefore dont' know how much ganache you will need.

That 'master' recipe is almost 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream - my ganache recipes all say 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream (ie 250g chocolate to 125g cream).   Surely your recipe would make for a runnier ganache that would take longer to set.

Also - I didn't have my cake chilled - my frosting was at room temperature  Sounds like yours set immediately before it could run down the sides.

storestore Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 5:48am
post #8 of 8

Yes! Thanks Magic Mouthfuls. I tried it again and this time I achieved more of the look I was going for. I changed up the ratio and used less chocolate. I let my cake come to room temperature. And I added a tablespoon of butter. Voila! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%