Italian Butter Cookies Help?

Baking By beachandsweets Updated 25 Dec 2014 , 3:21am by -K8memphis

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 4

So I made those Italian butter cookies with jam in the middle, that will soon be dipped in chocolate and sprinkles.

First problem, they lost their shape while baking. What could have made that happen? My butter was definitely room temperature. I'm thinking maybe the oven wasn't hot enough?

Second question. After I sandwiched them with jam, are they going to harden? I can't dip them in chocolate if they don't because they'll slide off each other. If I put them in the fridge will they be too soft? HELP.

Thanks!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 4

There are several possibilities for cookies having lost their shape. Have you made this recipe before and they came out right? It could be a "bad" recipe or your measuring was slightly off. Possibly too much sugar or not enough flour; or margarine instead of butter. If your oven was at least 300 degrees F, then it's probably not the oven temp.

After they are sandwiched together, moisture in the jam migrates to the cookies so they will be slightly softer than they are now. It may help to let the jam set up for several hours before dipping, which may help keep the cookies from sliding apart. Or, just hold the cookies carefully as you dip and don't let your fingers inadvertently slide them apart. You've already done the hardest part!

These are made with my sugar cookie dough. And they love to slide about if I'm not careful. :wink:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 4

Oh how delightful, what a delicious photo for Christmas Eve Day Mimi.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Dec 2014 , 3:21am
post #4 of 4

Asometimes it's something as mundane as too much fat on the pan or fat when you're not sposed to grease the pan at all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%