Silicone Liners

Decorating By makeherabaker Updated 7 Jan 2015 , 2:46pm by rhondab

makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 6

I've just purchased some and reading reviews the general consensus is that they are rubbish.

Have you used them? How were they for you? Do they need greasing?

I'll be making this Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes recipe for Christmas and they sink but I also lost a lot of cake to the paper liners.

If anybody has a cupcake recipe I can try please share

5 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 8:01am
post #2 of 6

As cupcake liners - pretty useless for cupcakes, they do not peel off with pretty effects, crumbs and torn sides everywhere.  

They work well for candy melts/chocolate tho. I've done cake pop balls inside them, the liner peels away to reveal a 'chocolate' cupcake case with cakepop 'cupcake' inside.

If you are buying silicon cupcake trays - also pretty useless.  They flop everywhere, so you need to put them on a baking tray so you can move them in and out of oven.  Mine only get used now when I'm making a huge batch and I need to make more cupcakes than the quantity my metal ones give - and I always line with cases.  They take longer to cook than when inside a metal cupcake pan.

makeherabaker Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Mouthfuls 

As cupcake liners - pretty useless for cupcakes, they do not peel off with pretty effects, crumbs and torn sides everywhere.  

They work well for candy melts/chocolate tho. I've done cake pop balls inside them, the liner peels away to reveal a 'chocolate' cupcake case with cakepop 'cupcake' inside.

If you are buying silicon cupcake trays - also pretty useless.  They flop everywhere, so you need to put them on a baking tray so you can move them in and out of oven.  Mine only get used now when I'm making a huge batch and I need to make more cupcakes than the quantity my metal ones give - and I always line with cases.  They take longer to cook than when inside a metal cupcake pan.

That's a shame I've wasted my money. Thanks

makeherabaker Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Mouthfuls 

I'm using them no a twenty minute bake time has turned in 40+ they are still not cooked! Fortunately I have paper liners so I will just have to rebake

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 6

I have the loose ones and I only use them to make chocolate or candy cups for me to pipe mousse into or some other things... 

I never even actually thought to make cupcakes in them because I figured that I would have to give them away with the cupcakes in them... 

They work great to make single serve chocolate cups though...

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 6

I do mostly small batch baking now - just a few treats for DH and me.  The silicone liners are great for microwaving "Mug cakes", since they have better texture when you bake as several cupcakes rather than one large mug cake.  Since they can stand on their own, any extra  muffin batter that doesn't fit in a six-cup cupcake pan goes into the silicone cups so they can all fit in the little counter top oven at the same time.  I found that greasing helped the first few times I used them, but after repeated use, they no longer require it.  I agree that the multi-cup pans are too floppy for my preference, but I do like the singles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%