Need Advice And Ideas On Covering Cupcakes, Prettyplease?

Decorating By KirstenAF Updated 20 Dec 2014 , 7:52pm by julia1812

KirstenAF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirstenAF Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 11

AHi there :)

I've just found out.... I'm in charge of Christmas Desserts this year! The thing is.. I love baking and cooking, making food in general is my passion! But I'm terrible at decorating cupcakes and cakes.. Something always goes wrong! I want to make these pretty Christmas Pudding cupcakes (See link: http://www.thecupcakeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Christmas-Pudding-Cupcakes.jpg) However according to what I've read in my Cake Decorating magazine, I need Chocolate Sugar paste to cover the cupcakes... Now I hate fondant, and I don't want to go out and buy sugar paste because I'm obsessed with making everything from scratch, I've tried googling how to make chocolate sugar paste and my only result found requires cornsyrup, which I have never seen in my country! Any yummy ideas on covering these cupcakes? Would ganache work? Any sugar paste recipes without cornsyrup?

Help :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

10 replies
Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe you can use molds and make chocolate domes and decorate that. Or decorate cookies and place them on top. I hear homemade marshmallow fondant is very good.  Candy clay is very tasty but you will need corn syrup. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 11

You can use glucose instead of corn syrup in many recipes, you can probably get that easier. You would need to find out the amount to use since I'm not 100% certain it would be a 1 for 1 substitution. 

KirstenAF Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 6:40am
post #4 of 11

AThank you! I'm going to mission about today to hopefully find glucose, my country is dreadful!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 8:16am
post #5 of 11

AI always use glucose syrup as they don't have corn syrup here either. Even thick (homemade) honey works... You could pipe on the rest of the decorations if you don't like fondant. I would make different ones, maybe also Christmas trees, bells, even snowman!

KirstenAF Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 8:50am
post #6 of 11

Ahey there!, Homemade honey?? How do you make that? If I may ask :) I made some marshmallow fondant, which is very yummy to my surprise! So I'll use that for the little things, because I feel fondant overload can really ruin a cupcake! I've been looking for ideas, I'm making 36 cupcakes so 12 would be the little puddings, 12 Xmas trees and I'm not sure on the last 12. However I've been looking into plastic chocolate for the pudding itself (covering the cupcakes) instead of using sugar paste.. as I think that's be very yummy. But the recipes I've found need cornsyrup or glucose, so I'm truly hoping to find glucose as I'm not sure if there's a substitute... I've found a sugar syrup recipe... but I'm not sure if that could be a good sub for the chocolate plastic?

julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 11:07am
post #7 of 11

AYes, I mean he honey you can buy from bee keepers. Not the liquid one from the supermarket with god knows what else in there. It has the consistency of peanut butter and is quiet white in color. I don't know what else you can use to substitute... Best is trying a small batch. Maybe golden syrup? But not sure about that. I use it to make rolled fondant although I read everywhere it won't work. Maybe google "substitute for corn syrup to make modeling chocolate"?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 11

white thick honey is whipped honey yes? mom used to use it in her coffee

julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 11

ANo, I mean real honey, not whipped. When I used to live in Germany, there was a huge garden colony close by and someone kept bees there. I always got my honey from him. It was delicious! Spreadable like peanut butter... Not clear, more opaque. With a white layer on top. It's natural garden honey, no preservatives or anything added. I googled to find a picture of something similar looking...[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3315059/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3315060/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 11

honey comes out of the hive in different shades but clear and eventually it crystalizes over time in chunks and turns cloudy -- if it's creamed or whipped in the first place the crystals are real small and it stays nice & spreadable -- it's still 'raw' even if it's whipped/creamed -- this kind of honey has different names but it's the opaque stuff --

when honey is cooked it's no longer raw --

julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 11

AOh, hood to know! Thanks. Yes, definitely the raw one...and it was very thick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%