Anyone Want To Take A Guess? Trying To Figure Out Amount...

Decorating By dailey Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 2:31am by DeniseNH

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 9

AI need to cover a 6, 9, 12 and 16 inch cake with sanding sugar but am trying to figure out how much I need? Anyone care to take a guess? :D:-

8 replies
georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 9

AJust a guess, but if I were buying the bottles from Michaels that are $4.99, I would probably buy about 8 of them to be safe. Although it would probably be cheaper to buy in bulk online.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 9

I always overbuy to be safe - hobby baker here!  But I think 8 is a lot!  I think you can go with 6 and still have leftovers.

I made a 9"? heart double layer cake and I used less than one jar. I used a mix of white, red and the orange/red/white jar over an orange iced cake.  Are you familiar with the wax paper method of applying the sugar - it was an invaluable forum topic for me!

Good luck

Theresa

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 9

Have you ever thought about making it? Easiest thing! Take the sugar and put it in a ziploc bag. Add the sugar, close it up and mix it into the sugar. Take it out onto a baking tray and break up the clumps. Put it in the oven at 70C (I think?) for about ten minutes. Take it out and break up the clumps some more and ta da! Sanding sugar!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 9

It sounds like you're wanting to use sparkling sugar, not sanding sugar.  Sparkling sugar is a lovely product.  Sanding sugar is quite dull next to sparkling sugar.  And sorry, smysha, but that just made no sense to me.

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:03am
post #6 of 9

When I said add the sugar I meant add dye! It's been a long day...

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

Depends on if the sugar is dyed or white and what you mean by Covered - sprinkled on or plastered (a lot).

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 2:25am
post #8 of 9

AThanks everyone! I was thinking I would need about 15 bottles?!? I am covering the whole cake because she wants it to look like snow (not crazy about the design, but hey, it's what she wants, lol). Those bottles are only 8 ounces so just for the 16 inch tier cake, I'm thinking at least 4 bottles? I actually prefer the sanding sugar as opposed to the sparkling sugar because the sparkling sugar is more course. I will also be adding edible glitter to the sanding sugar to give it a lot of shine ( again, it's what she wants). Do you think I could get a way with mixing :Dsanding sugar/half granulated sugar? It would definitely save me some money! I attached a pic of the look she is going for.

[ATTACHMENT=2048]image.jpg (21k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 2:31am
post #9 of 9

That's what I would do, mix sparkles, regular granular sugar and sanding sugar to get this look.  Good luck, I don't know how you're going to get it on evenly.  If the cake is fondant I would brush it all over with clear Karo.  If you put water on the cake it will eat through the fondant and melt the applied sugar.  But a thin coat of Karo won't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%