Multiple Colors With Fondant Molds?

Decorating By Sheri215 Updated 14 Dec 2014 , 4:58am by Sheri215

Sheri215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheri215 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:19am
post #1 of 5

AHi all, I'm new to all of this and probably bit off more than I could chew and making a fondant cake for my kids bday. I bought these cute mermaid molds online and are easy to use, but are smaller than expected and I have no idea how to use multiple colors for the details of the faces or scales etc. is there edible paint or edible marker type tools I could use to add the details in after I finished the molds and dried them? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 7:58am
post #2 of 5

AYes, the easiest will be to use white modeling fondant or gum paste and paint them. There are lots of edible paints and powders available. I use Wilton gel paint. Made sure you use only little amounts of color at the time. It takes a while to dry and you don't want to end up with soggy fondant. I normally mix my colors and then add small amounts of vodka (or any clear alcohol). It evaporates very quickly.

Sheri215 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 5

AThanks so much Julia!! I will go try the Wilton gel today! Since no one really eats the fondant, how far in advance can you make/paint the pieces before applying to the cake? Thanks again!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

AMost fondants stay well for weeks, even months!!! I personally don't like fondant, but since I make many kid's birthday cakes, I can tell you that lots of them eat the fondant and American buttercream (which i normally make for kid's cakes) only, lol. It's sugar pur...which kid can resist

Sheri215 Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 4:58am
post #5 of 5

APerfect. I'll start doing my molds and painting them next week then! Party is in 3 weeks but with the holidays in between and my crazy kids, anything I can do in advance the better!!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%