How Can I Preserve A Dummy Cake

Decorating By sugarrushph Updated 13 Jan 2015 , 8:15am by sugarrushph

sugarrushph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrushph Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

AHi i'm a newbie baker and i'd like to make a dummy cake and have it on display. I already made one and it dried nicely and it was hard as rock. But when it rains I notice it becomes shiny and a little sticky. (I live in the Philippines and its very humid here). Last week we had a storm and it rained very hard for almost 2 days, then i saw my dummy cake had melted already. I had no choice but to throw it away. :( did i do anything wrong? I understand that gumpaste can last very long for display purposes, but why did mine melted? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

AHi! I won't be much help. You already know moisture melts sugar. I have some fondant covered cakes that are almost ten years old. I dust them off and occasionally recover them with fondant to make a new design. The only thing I do is keep the cakes in an air conditioned room at my store.

You might try to put a display in a clear sealed container to see if that would help. Or use a plaster type product to simulate piping. There is a commercial product called perma ice, I just searched permant icing and found it. Be sure to only use tips, bags, etc. with this product that will not come in contact with your food tools. Good luck!

sugarrushph Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

hi cindy! thank you very much for that advise! will try to do that.. hopefully i'll get it right this time! :)

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

You could also cover the cake in a very light layer of edible glaze. This keeps away the majority of moisture. We have a cake shop and suffered from the same problems every day. We now glaze each cake and the cakes remain the same in any condition even our chocolate cakes stand up to the weather during the height of summer.

sugarrushph Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:15am
post #5 of 5

thank you for that advise sweetassugar... :) i'll try to look for some edible glaze and try it.. by the way i visited your site and your cakes are incredible! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%