Fondant Cupcake Toppers For Dummies?

Decorating By Cakecrazy25 Updated 17 Dec 2014 , 1:29am by Pastrybaglady

Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 16

Morning All!!

I'm in need of some fondant cupcake topper advice. My knowledge of cupcake toppers is small. My questions are:

1. Do you let your cupcake disc or domes dry first before placing them on the cupcakes so people have the option to easily take it off and eat the actual cupcake?

2. Do you place your fully decorated cupcakes with toppers in the fridge without them having any adverse effect like wilting?

3. Do you place your cupcakes in cardboard boxes to avoid humidity or possible decoration injury?

4. Do you ever encounter toppers being too heavy?

Any tips or tricks would be helpful. Thank you!!

15 replies
Cakecrazy25 Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 16

BUMP

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 5:29am
post #3 of 16

A1. Yes 2. I wait till right before delivery to put the toppers on if at all possible. 3. If they are going to be refrigerated they definitely need to stay in the box. My fondant flowers were okay after a night refrigerated in the box. 4. Not yet...

Cakecrazy25 Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 16

@Pastrybaglady  Thank you so much. You are a doll for responding to all my questions!! Do you find that people eat the hard fondant topper?

Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 16

AHa ha, I don't really know if they do or not! I know of a couple who have frozen them so they can keep them. I'll have to ask!

Cakecrazy25 Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 16

Awh. That is so nice that they keep them. Thanks again for your hellp @Pastrybaglady 

emsy77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emsy77 Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 16

Hiya Cakecrazy25,

Cupcake toppers are what I do, so thought I would answer your questions

1. Do you let your cupcake disc or domes dry first before placing them on the cupcakes so people have the option to easily take it off and eat the actual cupcake? Definitely let them dry first.

2. Do you place your fully decorated cupcakes with toppers in the fridge without them having any adverse effect like wilting? I usually suggest to my clients that they apply the toppers to the tops of the cupcakes just before serving. However, in the past when I also used to make the cupcakes I have put the toppers on the cupcakes then put them in the box and in the fridge with no problems. You will get the toppers sweating when they come to room temp, but if no body touches them they will be fine.

3. Do you place your cupcakes in cardboard boxes to avoid humidity or possible decoration injury? Definitely!

4. Do you ever encounter toppers being too heavy? Nope, not as yet. (Although my toppers do tend to be a bit more on the 2D side).

Any tips or tricks would be helpful. Thank you!! I do know that people eat the toppers I make. (I actually really like the taste of them - especially if they have gone really hard, it's like eating a piece of candy). Having said that, I do try to make them as thin as possible so that they are not getting a huge mouthful of sugar and so I also don't feel so bad if they decide not to eat it, as the amount of fondant used was quite minimal.

Hope that helps :D

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 16

O wow. Thank you so much @emsy77 .

That was so kind of you to share with me. I was so nervous this weekend when I did cupcake toppers for the first time. I tried to roll them out thin but I think it still ended up being thick. I would love to just give people the cupcake toppers and have them put them on themselves !! Here is what I ended up with. I told my friend to just take the topper off and eat the cupcake. lol. o well. 

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 16

@emsy77 your toppers are amazing!!

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 16

They came out beautifully!  I bet they loved them.  So did they eat the toppers?

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you @Pastrybaglady . Ya know... I have no idea because i dropped them off. It took 2 days to make all those little rosettes (over 100 of them) so watching them go in the trash would have broken my heart haha.  I told my friend to just take them off. I did make some that had candy clay leaves. I hope they ate those. Thank you for your tips. They made me a lot less scared out of my mind!!!

emsy77 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 16

I think they look gorgeous @Cakecrazy25 and it's funny, but the first ever cupcakes that I made for someone else were actually ones that I decorated entirely in ribbon roses too :D. I remember the pain of rolling out all those little roses - and I definitely didn't get them very thin. But every time you complete an order you only learn from your mistakes or figure out tricks to make it easier. Thanks heaps for your kind words about my toppers.  I love what I do and found that making the cupcakes as well was getting in the way of my family life, so now I just tell clients that I only make the toppers. That way I can still do multiple orders for the same day.

Chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting and hand rolled fondant roses.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 16

A@emsy77 how ironic. I love they way you photographed these cupcakes. One day I will learn how to do that. It's funny because my joy comes from the actual baking. Decorating is not my strong point. It doesn't come natural to me. I never want to do a ribbon rose again!!! It sounds like you have a great system going. Congrats on finding your niche!

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 12:55am
post #14 of 16

ASo emsy77 what do you charge just for the toppers? Do you sell them on etsy and ship them or locally like you would cupcakes?

emsy77 Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 1:05am
post #15 of 16

I only do local orders as it is just a hobby for me. I looked at Etsy and it all just looked too hard, plus I haven't ever shipped anything and would be scared of breakages. As far as price goes, it all depends on the complexity of the topper the client wants. 3D toppers can be anywhere up to $10/topper whereas the simpler toppers with just an initial or number are just $1/topper. Of course there is also the family and friends discount :D

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 1:29am
post #16 of 16

AAh, I see. I had considered just doing toppers but with the price of shipping I couldn't see how to make a decent profit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%