Working On A Surprise For Hubby And Need Help Asap

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 11 Dec 2014 , 2:03am by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 12

Normally I'm not a "Need help ASAP!!" kind of gal - but today that is me! My husband is turning 40 on Thursday and I am planning on bringing a surprise cake to his office tomorrow. Obviously, because it is a surprise I have to work on it when he isn't here and couldn't really finagle a trial run. The cake I am making is a paddle tire cake - looks just like the attached photo except it is laying flat on the ground. The plan I had in my head to do the paddles isn't working out and I am mentally stuck. I need to finish this by the time he gets home tonight. Gahhh.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 12

you could cover rice krispie treat tires with black candy clay/fondant/marzipan paint the interior silver --

but before you cover the tire affix the little parenthesis looking strips (the paddles?) onto the tire and then cover it then quickly mold around the strips with a soft pointed stick to reveal them underneath -- same with the dotted lines dashes on the other tire --

is that what you mean?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 5:12am
post #3 of 12

AMaybe soaked lasagne sheets, cut to the size you need them, dry into the shape needed, paint and attach???

dukeswalker Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 12

Well...I needed to get it done before he got home so I just "winged" it.  I ended up adding a ton of tiles to the satin ice black fondant I had, cut the strips out, rounded the corners, smoothed the edges, folded into an "L" shape and attached them to the cake, then did some more smoothing.  It dried out soon quickly and some ended up a little cracked but it's for my husband - so he has to love it, right?  LOL!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

...it's for my husband - so he has to love it, right?  LOL!

he'll love it!

what are tiles?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 12

AMaybe she means tylose [@]-K8memphis[/@]? Otherwise I'm as confused as you!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

Maybe she means tylose @-K8memphis? Otherwise I'm as confused as you!

oh of course -- yes i think you got it -- where her autocorrect autoincorrected it

winniemog Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 12:59am
post #8 of 12

AAh, autoincorrection.....once again you triumph with a new word that perfectly captures society in 2014! Great job, [@]-K8memphis[/@], your work is now done.

dukeswalker Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 1:22am
post #9 of 12

Aha!  YES - TYLOSE!!! This isn't nearly as bad as when I texted my husband-

"Busy day - late start, grocery, made cookies, buttercream, went to orgy.  Totally tired."

MEANT to say:

"Busy Day - late start, grocery, made cookies, buttercream, went to ortho.  Totally tired."

Oh - and here is the finished cake:

:Hubby is turning 40 and I've never had time to make him a fancy shmancy cake.  SO - here is his paddle tire cake for the big 4-0!  It is made from 3, 12 inch rounds - about 6 inches high.  The rim was made prior to completing the cake - I used a 6inch round cake pan turn upside down, dusted it with corn starch and laid my fondant on it, pressed it into the molding of the edge of the pan and onto the table, then used a pizza cutter to cut about 1/4 inch around the pan.  I let that sucker dry for a few days.  I also pre-made the bolts and air intake thingy.  Once they were dry I aiirbrushed them silver.  After assembling the cake and covering with fondant,  I used the same 6 in cake pan as a guide to cut a hole in the center of the cake (it took a few tried to get the depth right).  Then sunk the silver rim into the hole and made the paddles by cutting 8 5inchx1inch rectangles out of fondant mixed with tylose.  I rounded the top/end corners and folded them into an "L" shape and glued them in the cake.  Done!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 1:30am
post #10 of 12

oh you did awesome -- i bet he was so pleased! cake, tire/tiles, orgies and all :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

Ah, autoincorrection.....once again you triumph with a new word that perfectly captures society in 2014! Great job, @-K8memphis, your work is now done.

thank you, wm, i particularly love to make up words but i hope there's a few more things i can do ;) 

winniemog Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 1:42am
post #11 of 12

AHey girls, I'd much rather go to an orgy than the ortho any day.....see you all there!

And the cake is pretty fine, your husband must have been so pleased. Maybe an invite to the next orgy will top off next year's birthday though?

dukeswalker Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:03am
post #12 of 12

He was kind of bummed that he wasn't invited to the orgy - also asked if I took pictures.  :lol: Love that man - keeps me laughing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%