When To Decorate My Rich Fruit Cake.?

Decorating By sapphirecupcake Updated 3 Dec 2014 , 11:59am by remnant3333

sapphirecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sapphirecupcake Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 5

ASo, about a month ago, I made a rich fruit cake for Christmas. Every week I have lightly fed it more brandy. When is the best time to marzipan it then cover it in fondant? (Mums request)

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 5

Depends when you want to eat it. If you want it ready for Christmas Day, I would put the fondant on on Christmas Eve. To do that, you would want to put the marzipan on 2 days before, on the 22nd. The marzipan needs to dry out a little before applying the fondant.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 4:22am
post #3 of 5

I'd do it anytime from now. I have already done some ready for Christmas. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 10:04am
post #4 of 5

I also have mine done already.  Once the icing is on I can puddle over the decorations.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 11:57am
post #5 of 5

I make fruit cake every year.  I have never put marzipan on it, though I have seen many people doing it. I keep it covered tightly in foil. The longer it sits, the moister and better it begins to taste.  When I make mine I soak the fruit in juice from real oranges overnight which makes my cake very moist. I do add some of my flour to the fruit and add nuts at the time right before baking it which makes fruit evenly distribute all over cake. I have never thought about soaking it with brandy. I will have to try that one of these days!!

I do love a good fruitcake with a cup of coffee in mornings.  I have never thought about decorating a fruit cake before. I always make them every year for a few people who love fruitcake during Christmas. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%