Cakes Vs. Cupcakes

Baking By yste Updated 1 Dec 2014 , 2:16am by Magic Mouthfuls

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 4

I've been baking cakes for a whle but not cupcakes. I just wanted to know if there is difference between cakes and cupcakes regarding texture.  Is it true that cakes should be dense and moist, cupcakes should be light and fluffy or it really doesn't matter. Thanks :) 

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 4

I guess one can argue about that forever...

I'm making both, cake and cupcakes. Cupcakes should be light and creamy for me, while cakes can be more versatile, depending on what I need. Of course flavor and texture is very important (especially for the customer who eats it), but I'm also looking into density when I take an order. When I'm sculpting a cake f.e., I don't want an airy light texture, because it will fall apart. Or if I brush cake with lots of syrup and liquor, I don't want to end up with a mashed something. Cupcakes for me are mini cakes, but way easier.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:44am
post #3 of 4

Cupcakes are one nibble or bite..so if you are basing your reputation on them I suppose they have to be moist light and moreish?

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 2:16am
post #4 of 4

To me, the difference between a cake and cupcake is the size - it's the different cake recipes that determine differences in texture - mud cake, sponge, butter cake, fruit cake all have different textures regardless of whether they are 2inch cupcake size or 8" party cake size.  - and 99.9% of the time the same recipe will work for a cupcake vs a cake.  (recipes sometimes need a tweak to work for a particular size though).

Cupcakes come in mini (1-2 bite size - cocktail party); regular 4-6 bites and giant which is really a cake shaped like a cupcake.  And can be filled and decorated in millions of different ways, just like cake can.

The beauty of the cupcake is that is individual serving size-portioned ready to go - no need for cutting and the case often replaces a plate to eat from.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%