Thawing Buttercream Cake On Counter?

Decorating By jenlovescake Updated 14 Dec 2014 , 3:09am by kakeladi

jenlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlovescake Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 6:23am
post #1 of 3

AHello, hoping to get some quick help.

My first cake in a long time is tomorrow. Its covered in buttercream and most my cakes are fondant so Im anxious. Its 3 tiers and i will set them up at the venue. I have 2 hours to drive this and i will put the supports in before i hit the road. I have the cakes in the freezer and im wondering if i let them thaw on the counter tomorrow, 1) would 12 hours be enough time to thaw a cake with 2 layers? And 2) is thawing on the counter alright or does it need to be in thr fridge? I dont want to ruin the cake but Id like to drive in the morning with it frozen for stability. Thanks so much in advance. Im worried about the texture of the buttercream.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 3

so, how did it go? obviously your post got missed/overlooked but i'm curious what you decided to do and how it went for you -- 

i keep all mine in the fridge after final icing -- but before that i store them fully assembled in the freezer then ice them frozen -- then the fridge --

how'd you do?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 3:09am
post #3 of 3

Aaahhhhh I'm so sorry your ? got lost with no one to answer you.

For future knowledge it does depend a bit on the size of the cakes but anything under 12" usually will thaw in just a couple of hours.  For those bigger ones it might take another hour or two.  Of course it does depend on the temp in the room/area where they are defrosting :)

Soooo, you probably should have left them in the fzr until you left for your 2 hr drive.   A cold cake travels much better.  I hope you haven't given up on this board and will report to us how it all turned out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%