Airbrushing Beginner In Ontario, Canada

Decorating By cakebear Updated 15 Dec 2014 , 11:16am by sweetassugarcak

cakebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebear Posted 28 Nov 2014 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I am interested in adding Airbrushing to my cake decorating.

I am just starting to learn about this and wondering what to get.  I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money but also don't want to pay for something that is not going to work.  I say one by Duff that is around $160.00 

Have no idea what to look for and what to get.

Advice is needed

Thanks

3 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 4

I just bought this kit and the beginner set of colours.   I love it.

http://www.flourconfections.com/airbrush-starter-kit-includes-colours-p-2492.html

http://www.flourconfections.com/iwata-portable-airbrush-kit-p-4373.html

I looked at the Duff one, but was iffy about the quality.  This one I can get replacement parts for and an upgraded compressor if I feel I need it.

It was a good price and a good little machine.  I practiced on paper with it to get the hang of it.  

It's a good starting kit.  Hope that helps.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 4

Craftsy has a class on airbrushing that you might want to consider.  It starts out explaining the different types of airbrushes.  Wish I had seen it before I bought mine; although it is fine, after viewing the class I would have gone for a different one.

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 11:16am
post #4 of 4

AIf you do not want to spend a fortune I would suggest going for a single action airbrush ( pretty much any cake airbrush set out there) gaining experience and then progressing onto a double action airbrush. Although expensive the build quality and finish of your work will far outway the cost. Most come with an extended warranty such as 10 years and also have an endless number of attachments and spares unlike a lot of the cheaper models. I use an iwata eclipse and it has never skipped a beat since day one. The cheaper single action airbrushes I teach with havnt faired so well and we are currently on our 5th replacement in a year. Although we do use them far more than most due to the classes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%