Malibu Blue Buttercream

Decorating By koneal84 Updated 22 Nov 2014 , 12:49am by Dayti

koneal84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koneal84 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm trying to make malibu blue buttercream for a wedding cake. I added teal to my white buttercream but it's not the same color as I need. Should I add a little leaf green to it or keep adding teal?

Here is a picture of the malibu blue I need [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3307044/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

6 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 7

ADo you have any Americolor electric blue? That would match it perfectly.

koneal84 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

AI do not have electric blue. Blue colors I have teal, sky blue and royal blue.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

There are soooo many different shades of teal that it is hard to say what you should add to what you already have to work with.   You probably are going to have to experiment with the colors you have to work with.  Take a tablespoon or so to play with adding just a tiny bit of one of your other blues to it and see how that works.

Just remember that color develops over time - the more color added the more it will change.  What you think is perfect might darken beyond what you really want.  It also will darken a bit once on the cake (as it dries there).

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

Did you try the sky blue? I always find that Americolor sky blue is closer to what I would consider teal.

koneal84 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 7

AI first added teal. When I got to a place where I thought I should add blue I added a little sky blue. I have to make so much I'm scared my colors will get off

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

AMake another small batch of the colour you got, but this time write down the measurements. For example if you colour 1 cup of plain buttercream with, say, 1/4 teaspoon of teal and 1/8t of sky blue, it will be easy to multiply when you make the final quantity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%