Help!!middle Layer Short!!

Decorating By AmberNada Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 1:56pm by yortma

AmberNada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberNada Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:55am
post #1 of 5

Help! I am making my first wedding cake due to delivery on Friday! I just finished baking all 8 cakes and was about to store them when I noticed that both of my 12" cakes are about are not near the full 2" height.  The only thing I can think is that I mismeasured my batter cups since I was making double batches for multiple cakes.  When stacked on top of each other they are 3.75" with just the cake board between them.  SO here's the dilemma, do I try to fudge the difference with icing or just eat it and bake two more cakes??! I need a super fast response, please help! I guess I should add that the cake is 4 tier stacked on one another: 14,12,10,8.

4 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 6:56am
post #2 of 5

AIf you're only out a quarter of an inch, I would build the cake's height with frosting (personally i would be using ganache so it's easy to increase the height). I'm guessing you need all four tiers the same height, so it will look off if you don't correct the height. If you're short more than this, I would probably bake an extra cake and layer it in to give the correct height.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 7:07am
post #3 of 5

AWhat @winniemog said, or add another cardboard cake circle (or 2) under it. You would need to glue the cake circles together.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 10:52am
post #4 of 5

Great idea about the extra cake boards!!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

If the original plan was to have 2 layers of cake, and one layer of filling, you could also torte the layers so you have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling.  That will add extra height but spread the filling out more evenly.  As state above, you could also put this particular tier on extra cardboards, or on a foam core cakeboard, covered with frosting, fondant or decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%