Good Knife?

Lounge By Natka81 Updated 19 Nov 2014 , 6:49pm by Rfisher

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 9

What type, brand or size of knife do you all use to cut decorated  cakes.

Serrated or not ? Long? Heavy?

8 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 9

ADo you mean knife to tort the cake? I have an 18" Wusthof serrated. Weight depends on how comfortable you are when you're holding/using the knife.

Natka81 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, no, not to tort, but to cut wedding or b-day cake. I attend many wedding at my church and see people cut and serve cake with wedding serrated knife & server set. Cake practically crumbles under that knife and it is impossible to cut clean and even pieces.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 9

AIIRC serrations are for a sawing motion. Are they sawing or pushing down? Thinner the blade the better Cleaner the blade better. Sharper the better. Does the servers you see clean their blade between each cut? If not, just doing that would help.

Natka81 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 9

The wedding cakes at my church are mostly DIY, and "servers"  are bridesmaids. They are pushing down.

So, @Rfisher, do you recommend: 1. not a serrated knife

2.  to clean knife after each cut

Rfisher Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 9

ABefore you have them go out and buy another knife, just instruct them to clean the knife with hot water and wipe dry between each cut, still slicing straight down. That may work well enough. I use both chef's knifes and straight cake knives. I have used a serrated straight one. I don't see too much difference between them. The cleaning with hot water I think is the biggest help, although time consuming. And mindful to keep the water away from the cake.

Natka81 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 9

Ok, thanks.

Rfisher Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

AForgot to mention, if cake has warmed up it won't cut as well as slightly chilled, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%