Black Fondant That Dries Stiff?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 19 Nov 2014 , 2:45pm by Sweetiepiecakes

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 6

I normally make my own fondant - unless I need black or red, then I purchase pre-made.  Usually, I grab some Duff's because it doesn't taste awful, it is nearby, and it is relatively inexpensive.  BUT - this time I need large amounts of black, including some parts of the cake that need to dry stiff.  No amount of Tylose added to Duff's can make it non-floppy.  Any suggestions?  Thanks a ton!

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 4:49am
post #2 of 6

AI got the best ever advice for that here on cc! I make my own gum paste, fondant and modeling fondant too and have the same problem with black and red. So, what I was advised is to put the pieces in the oven with the oven light on. It works wonders! Okay, sometimes it takes a couple of days (depending on the thickness), but the dry completely!!! Only downside is that you can't use your oven for a while, lol :-D

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 6

I've done that before but in this case the pieces that need to dry stiff will be ON the cake without the ability to have them dry separately before hand.  Thank you for the help though! :)

I haven't really explored the other fondant out there - does anyone have any thoughts on how satin ice, fondx, etc dries?

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 6

I make my own black and red MMF by adding candy melts of the same color.  This works really well and less gel color is needed.  I can then use Tylose and my fondant will get stiff

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 6

would marzipan work for you?

Sweetiepiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetiepiecakes Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 6

1 part mmf, 1/4 parts wilton candy melts, and add some black dye to darken it the rest of the way. Works like a charm every time. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%