Remove Cracks Or Lines From A Ball Of Gum Paste?

Decorating By firecracker1953 Updated 21 Nov 2014 , 9:55pm by Paper Icing

firecracker1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firecracker1953 Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 7

When I roll a ball of gum paste, there is almost always a crack.  I don't have any problems with small balls but the larger the ball the bigger the problem gets.  I have rolled over and over between my palms but I can't get the ball completely smooth.  Any suggestions?

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 7

AWhen that happens there is not much you can do except re-knead it to get it warmed up and pliable (or put it in the microwave for a few seconds then knead), and start your ball again. If the problem persists, try adding a little Crisco to the paste.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 7

I put mine in the microwave as Dayti suggested. It always works and once it cools down it dries faster.

firecracker1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firecracker1953 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the responses.  I have rekneaded and used shortening but doesn't seem to help.  I will try the microwave too.  Thanks again.

Paper Icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paper Icing Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 7

AI have found that the larger fondant balls require a lot more pressure than the smaller balls to avoid cracks.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 7

AI can't remember who did a video tutorial on this, and not sure if I can explain with text.... I make my ball, maybe a tiny bit bigger than I need, then work it like everyone else has explained. With any cracks left after that I keep working/pulling that crack toward the bottom of the ball until eventually you have a tail that you keep pulling and smoothing till it breaks off. Then roll it around to make it round again. Maybe someone knows of this method and can explain better.

Paper Icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paper Icing Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7

AThere is a great class on making fondant animals on Craftsy by Sharon Wee.She has excellent tips on fondant handling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%