Help With Fondant.

Decorating By kay12 Updated 10 Nov 2014 , 7:04am by oftheeicing

kay12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay12 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 6

ACan anyone tell me if heavy whipping cream and butter will hold under fondant?? I can't use Swiss meringue because some of the kids are allergic to eggs. Is there any buttercream that not have shortening in it?! Thanks

5 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 6

ANo. It wont. You can always take any buttercream recipe and sub all butter for the shortening.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 5:22am
post #3 of 6

ASo, butter is okay, but eggs not. But why no shortening? Normally I would think shortening but no butter if one of the kids also has lactose intolerance. Excuse my stupid question, just curious. But anyway, no to whipping cream! Maybe a fruit jelly? You can boil some strawberries f.e. With cornstarch until thick and cover/fill cake when still warm. Once it has cooled down it's sticky enough to hold fondant...

kay12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay12 Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 6:21am
post #4 of 6

AHi Julia! :) thanks for your response, and no it's not a stupid question, the reason of why not shortening is because I don't like the taste that shortening leave in the mouth, like a greasy throat lol. I think jelly would be too sweet?! If you have any good buttercream recipe with a little shortening or a recipe that dont leave that oily taste in the mouth I could try shortening :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 6:50am
post #5 of 6

AI'm with you, Kay! Don't like shortening either. I guess a traditional American buttercream is not what you are looking for? Since you don't like that it sweet... Btw, the homemade jelly I make can be done without sugar! Or just little... What cake are you making anyway? Does cream cheese go with it? Let me pm you some recipes to spice up abc that I recently found on cc... (hope I'll figure out how to send them

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 7:04am
post #6 of 6

AI use indydebi's buttercream recipe and in lieu of the 1-1/3 cup shortening, I do 1 cup shortening, 1/2 cup of salted butter. Smoothes beautifully, my customers LOVE it, it works well under fondant and doesn't have that normal slimy shortening taste/feel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%