Muppet Cake

Decorating By tiffany0727 Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 7:02pm by tiffany0727

tiffany0727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffany0727 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 3:56am
post #1 of 7

I am making a Muppet cake for my son's 4th birthday.  I'm thinking about this cake: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/06/amazing-rainbow-muppet-themed-birthday-party/, but adapted to his favorite characters, because I can do it in advance because his birthday is December 31st and that time of year is crazy to plan a party. :(  I've made a cake similar for someone else, but it was princess themed letters.  So...my question is how would you ice it for a boy's cake.  To me, personally, the ruffles are too girly and the husband isn't really feeling it.  If I kept it simple and white, how would you ice it?  Petal style, rustic, simple and smooth?  I was also thinking about doing white with maybe "paint splatter" with the colors of the party.  Thoughts?  Thanks! :)

6 replies
sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7

I would do smooth or lines, either horizontally or vertically. 

tiffany0727 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 11:58am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply! :)  I very much appreciate it.  This is the cake I was talking about in the original post that I have done before.  She wanted it smooth.  I kind of just wanted to do something different, I guess, but I want something that will still look good with a design similar to this.  

sleaky77 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 7

I just searched buttercream texture and got a few different options.

sleaky77 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 7

I just realised the letters were princesses. Very cute!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 7

Any of these techniques Costumeczar shows in her video: 

My personal favourite is the one where you drag the spatula horizontally around the cake, I would do that one.

tiffany0727 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, sleaky77!  I had fun making that for her.  I have two boys, so it's fun to do something girly here and there. ;)  Dayti, that's for the link. That is a super helpful tutorial!!  I have watched it a few times for two different cakes where I did two of the methods she demonstrates, including the one you're talking about.  I highly recommend it to anyone else.  You're right, Dayti, that is a pretty method. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%