Glaze For Wine Bottle

Decorating By Colliegirl Updated 7 Nov 2014 , 11:03pm by winniemog

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 6

HI there, I took advice using a glaze for my wine bottle cake to use Corn Syrup (used Glucose as we don't have corn syrup) and Vodka.  I have applied it to the bottle but it is not drying!!!! Help!!!!!

I was thinking to take it off and use egg white? Really need advice asap.

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 4:38am
post #2 of 6

AI made a bottle cake not to long ago. The cake was the wine box and I had half a bottle made out of gum paste. I glaced it with homemade piping gel and it never dried but I didn't expect it to, because it gave the bottle a nice shine like real glass. So, why do you need it to dry? Sorry, maybe I misunderstand your question...?

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 10:50am
post #3 of 6

Thanks. When I touch the bottle the black and glaze come off onto my hand I figure that this would not be suitable if you were doing a cake.  But I hadn't thought that perhaps it is ok, considering buttercream will just as easy come off onto you hand if you touch it.  Thanks for the knock on the head, I needed that.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 6

ALol, that's funny :) Good luck with it!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 6

I used several coats of confectioners glaze on mine....  It does dry completely....  leave each coat to dry before applying the next.

Close-up of the sugar bottle and edible image personalised label.

Wine Bottle in box/crate for my wonderful mother-in-law's 75th birthday luncheon today.  It's a 12" x 7" rich fruit cake covered in marzipan and then the box panels were a 50/50 mix of pastillage and modelling paste.  The bottle is entirely sugar (flower paste and modelling paste), with several layers of glaze and an edible image for the personalised label.  The packaging is chopped white chocolate cigarellos.  Next time, I would leave the panels of the box *even longer* to dry before fixing to the cake, because it was only after they'd been in place a few hours that I saw they had bowed slightly.  :o(

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 6

AThe 50/50 mix of corn syrup and vodka will dry, from memory it took a few days last time I made a wine bottle, but that was in our winter in Australia.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%