Big Step

Decorating By Beatrice Rhoda Updated 8 Nov 2014 , 5:39pm by Bitzidee

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 9:44pm
post #31 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natka81 

https://www.facebook.com/rhoda.beckham?fref=ts. Is that your page?

Holy moly.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

Yes, it's all in the spelling. "Fabolus" should read Fabulous if you want people to find you easily. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-Beckham-Fabolus-Cakes/228306073928454?ref=br_tf

Holy moly.

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 10:49pm
post #33 of 65

ADefinitely what the others said, more practice. Sturdier boards as well, one cake looks like its sitting on a cardboard box. And I would probably steer clear of posting the novelty cakes, not everyone is interested in seeing naked lady parts on their timeline :/

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:36am
post #34 of 65

Do not open a store-front bakery. You are not ready. Practice, practice, practice making cake, and practice some more. Use correct English grammar and spelling, not text-speak.

Beatrice Rhoda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:37am
post #35 of 65

AOk for all the questions I hose Victoria Beckham because it's my mom name. I am not just advertising and that's y I joined and asked quetions to get positive feedback. Remember I'm new to this

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:39am
post #36 of 65

AAnyway well thank y'all for all of your advice

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 2:06am
post #37 of 65

AAnd yes I work in a bakery and all of my customers are pleased with the.quality of my work

baggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baggins Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 3:33am
post #38 of 65

I agree with the other professional bakers who have stated that you are not ready to open a shop. I looked at your facebook page and you work looks homemade, not professional and certainly not from a professional bakery. I am not talking about walmart, as their is nothing professional about their cakes. Second, is English your first language? your writing is atrocious!! you misspelled "Love" how hard it is to spell? your facebook page is a reflection of you and your ability to run a business and bake a professionally looking, tasty cake. Sadly, your page doesn't reflect any of that. It all looks very hastily put together, and as a potential customer I would question your attention to detail in making my cake. You have the basics, but your in Baltimore, not a wealthy city by any means, and they already have Charm City for high end cakes. Your plan to open a bakery is hasty and sadly, will fail and you will be out a lot of money and wondering what went wrong!!

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 3:44am
post #39 of 65

ALike I said thank you for your input.

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:02am
post #40 of 65

AAll I am getting is Haters. Some of you crying bout tyepos. Charms city cakes,most of y'all went to school. So wut. All I ask was some insights not put downz. Thatz wutz wrong with the world now. If u don't like the way I type txt or freehand suck a major dick. Charm city is good. As long as they do wut they came to do. I am not charm city, cake boss, rescue my bakery,..... All r good shows. Damn it I for got to tape it. So I must ask I wutz your web site maybe I can see wut I lack on. Oh well another reason to keep going 4ward. Thank you to all my supportz. I must go now to finish my cakes that other people lines my wrk. *****EZ

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:04am
post #41 of 65

AWhere can I find better cake bordz from?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:13am
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice Rhoda 
 I joined and asked quetions to get positive feedback. Remember I'm new to this

If you want rainbows, unicorns, "everyone gets a trophy" accolades, then this is not for you. A constructive (notice I didn't say "sweet" or "flattering") comment from a pro that will save you heartache down the line. If you are competing with Walmart in style and quality, as well as price, you will have it tough--- they have cornered the market share. If you are competing with some of the high end cake artist here, that have successful store fronts or even legal in home bakeries, you are not yet in their league.

You are the one who labeled this thread "big step".When you start with a post saying you want to open a store front bakery, and pros on here say what they think, with no sugar coating (business is tough, not sugar coated in the real world), you should heed their advice and learn from what they say. 

If you don't WANT to learn, and don't WANT any advice... why did you post?  Oh, that's right--- you wanted rainbows, unicorns, and "Aw, sweetie... that's so nice!" C ya soon on cake wrecks!

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:34am
post #43 of 65

AI never said I was a pro, or from Walmart, Sam's, Costco... All I ask for insight nothing personal. I am not looking to corner the market. I love wut I am doing. Love to see the smiles on people faces as they pick up thier cakes or just walking by the shop. Yes we stay busy. But it's my dreamz to have my own shop. Starting small it's ok. Not afraid. Never was or will be. Oh almost for got I taught myself. Much luv to whom ever seekz on making the their dreams come reality. Hope one day to see y'all workz......

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:50am
post #44 of 65

I am sorry you feel like the constructive feedback that you were given didn't meet your expectations, but that is no reason to be so rude to those that were honest with you when you asked for their opinions... 

I am not a professional... but even I can see from this posting that if the person making my cake cannot spell her own company's name correctly, how can I be sure that they will spell the words on my cake correctly... I would also have doubts about my cake coming from someone professional if they emailed me using the verbiage you used... While I know that my grammar and spelling aren't the greatest, I do expect that people I would do business with will at least take the time to write out the words they are planning to use when conversing with me...

Please take the time to look at your work and your response critically... Your reaction to tell people that they need to perform fellatio because they said something you didn't care for seems a bit off... When in business one must learn to take the criticism as well as the accolades...

Good luck in your choice...

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:07am
post #45 of 65

A

Original message sent by Beatrice Rhoda

All All I ask was some insights not put downz. Thatz wutz wrong with the world now. If u don't like the way I type txt or freehand suck a major dick.

You got insights. You got criticism. That does not give you the right to reply in this manner. If anyone ever does manage to Google your company name, hopefully this thread will come back in a search and potential customers can see the type of business person they are dealing with. This is wrong on so many levels, and it wouldn't surprise me if you got banned from Cake Central. You totally just shot yourself in the foot. I'm not even going to wish you good luck, but good bye.

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:20am
post #46 of 65

A

Original message sent by pastrypet

Do not open a store-front bakery. You are not ready. Practice, practice, practice making cake, and practice some more. Use correct English grammar and spelling, not text-speak.

I apologize I wasnt referring to you and I.totally agree with the practice part and I do that daily that's how I learn more. Co structive criticism I.can handle but the bashing I cannot and will not. I read a similar thread to my own and the feedback she received was not as harsh as I recieved

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:24am
post #47 of 65

A

Original message sent by Dayti

You got insights. You got criticism. That does not give you the right to reply in this manner. If anyone ever does manage to Google your company name, hopefully this thread will come back in a search and potential customers can see the type of business person they are dealing with. This is wrong on so many levels, and it wouldn't surprise me if you got banned from Cake Central. You totally just shot yourself in the foot. I'm not even going to wish you good luck, but good bye.

as for what u r saying I will respond to you personally. I.can take.constructive.criticism not.bashing. professional, bashing is professional? Everyone spells things differently and have typos and so on and so forth it doesnt give you all the right to be

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:28am
post #48 of 65

AInhuman or a person without a heart. You all took what I love and enjoy doing and.tried to.rip my guts out. And yes I do hope.people do.see.this to.show them that I am a person first with feelings and enjoy and well pleased with my "homemade looking" cakes.

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:35am
post #49 of 65

A

Original message sent by AAtKT

I am sorry you feel like the constructive feedback that you were given didn't meet your expectations, but that is no reason to be so rude to those that were honest with you when you asked for their opinions... 

I am not a professional... but even I can see from this posting that if the person making my cake cannot spell her own company's name correctly, how can I be sure that they will spell the words on my cake correctly... I would also have doubts about my cake coming from someone professional if they emailed me using the verbiage you used... While I know that my grammar and spelling aren't the greatest, I do expect that people I would do business with will at least take the time to write out the words they are planning to use when conversing with me...

Please take the time to look at your work and your response critically... Your reaction to tell people that they need to perform fellatio because they said something you didn't care for seems a bit off... When in business one must learn to take the criticism as well as the accolades...

Good luck in your choice...

AAtkt now as for you, I understand your.point.of view but no one is going to act as if I'm not a person first and yes I understood what the.critics said but was it.necessary for someone to.say am I from america or better yet can I spell. There.are such things as typos there are such things as spelling it in your.own way. So thanks for your response. And I have clients that love my work.for.what it.is and I will never stop learning to enhance my skills

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 9:21am
post #50 of 65

AOh come on now, you have people with expletives in their names posting on your wall, shouting about ordering cakes, rude....oh forget it. This is just beyond ridiculous.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 9:23am
post #51 of 65

AThe question about you being from America is completely legitimate, if you weren't, it would help us understand the grammatical and other errors in your text. No one here is out to get you, or jack your stuff, or pop a cap....

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 10:04am
post #52 of 65

AOK I understand

Original message sent by johnson6ofus

If you want rainbows, unicorns, "everyone gets a trophy" accolades, then this is not for you. A constructive (notice I didn't say "sweet" or "flattering") comment from a pro that will save you heartache down the line. If you are competing with Walmart in style and quality, as well as price, you will have it tough--- they have cornered the market share. If you are competing with some of the high end cake artist here, that have successful store fronts or even legal in home bakeries, you are not yet in their league.

You are the one who labeled this thread "big step".When you start with a post saying you want to open a store front bakery, and pros on here say what they think, with no sugar coating (business is tough, not sugar coated in the real world), you should heed their advice and learn from what they say. 

If you don't WANT to learn, and don't WANT any advice... why did you post?  Oh, that's right--- you wanted rainbows, unicorns, and "Aw, sweetie... that's so nice!" C ya soon on cake wrecks!

Now you are rude as hell. All I asked.for was advice no rainbows no unicorns and no awe.sweeties and as for.me.being on cake wrecks I have clients and they never.complain. I right or type what I.feel and how I feel and I don't care who.reads this because I am human and instead of you being so nasty why.couldn't you say anything positive and that's what's wrong.with this world today

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 10:07am
post #53 of 65

AOk I understand that but all of that other stuff is and was irrelevant and yes I.use.slang and yes I use Ebonics nothing is wrong with that. Why is it because I am not correct according to society. Anyway like I said earlier I thank y'all for all of your input have a great day

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 10:12am
post #54 of 65

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Oh come on now, you have people with expletives in their names posting on your wall, shouting about ordering cakes, rude....oh forget it. This is just beyond ridiculous.

and so what if I do what harm is it to you or anyone.else? They are my clients no matter.how explicit their names are they ARE.STILL HUMANBEINGS

Beatrice Rhoda Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 10:16am
post #55 of 65

AAnd furthermore tbh if you do not like what you.read delete it.from your thread smh. Now I'm being ebonically correct and text savvy and its no harm in non of it to no one but whomever it.offends y'all have a good.day in y'all politically super professional world without flaws or.blemishes smh. This world is crazy

krisindaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krisindaa Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:15pm
post #56 of 65

APlease take the great information received & practice. I have never known a client to purchase "Ebonics" cakes. It seems as if you choose not to listen to the constructive criticism asked for. So please let us know how your bakery does when you open it. Unless You have deep pockets and don't require a loan.....a business plan, samples & pictures for the loaning officer will not stamp your loan with approval. I won't type anymore as there is sooooo much that you have exhausted us With in disbelief. The real world and owning a business is not rainbows and Strawberries. It's the bottom line of $$$ & Talent. Just remember that.... Your attitude here is a reflection into yourself...........

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:18pm
post #57 of 65

A

AAtkt now as for you, I understand your.point.of view but no one is going to act as if I'm not a person first and yes I understood what the.critics said but was it.necessary for someone to.say am I from america or better yet can I spell. There.are such things as typos there are such things as spelling it in your.own way. So thanks for your response. And I have clients that love my work.for.what it.is and I will never stop learning to enhance my skills

There is no such thing as "spelling it your own way." If you want to be professional you need to present yourself professionally, which includes using proper grammar. You can always hire someone to do a website for you and correct typos, but your facebook page needs a complete overhaul if you're serious about this.

You need to identify what your target audience is. If you want to maintain a storefront you're going to need a client base that allows you to earn enough to pay your expenses and make a living wage. If you think that your customer base will be made of people who don't spell, don't care about how things are presented and don't care in general, you're golden. If you want to appeal to a larger demographic you need to clean up your act.

You also need to get the giant chip off your shoulder and listen to what people are telling you here instead of dismissing the advice as coming from "haters trying to tear you down." The word "haters" is overused by people who don't want to make an effort...It's a rationalization that allows people to stay in their own little world and ignore any constructive criticism. If my kids told me that they didn't need to improve because the people giving them advice were all haters I would tell them to grow up and pull their heads out of their butts. Would I be hating on my kids for that? No, I would be expecting more from them, and if you can't expect more from yourself then you don't need to ask for advice that you don't intend to take.

You are in no way, shape or form ready to open your own business, based on your bad attitude on this thread alone. You need to set up a meeting with a local SCORE member (look the group up) to talk about what steps are necessary to start a business. Then you need to go to the meeting and keep your mouth shut and your ears open. They will probably tell you all kinds of things you don't want to hear, but they're not there to make you happy, they're there to coach you with a business startup. If you can listen without being defensive you might find out that running a business isn't what you want to do. It might be, but it sounds to me like you think it's going to be all super fun times, and the reality is far from that. It's a ton of work and most of that work does not involve decorating cakes. Most of it is paperwork, meeting with clients, cleaning, ordering supplies, etc etc etc. If that's what you want then go for it, but you need to find out the reality of what's expected and it doesn't sound like you want to at this point.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:38pm
post #58 of 65

AOkay I did a little research into your neighborhood to see what kind of customer base you would have, since you said that would be your client base. It's entirely possible that the people in your area (who I assume would also be the people who are posting on your facebook page) would be fine with your spelling and attitude. However, that isn't enough to sustain a business, so I stand by my advice about going to talk to SCORE.

For those of you who don't know Baltimore, if you've ever seen an episode of The Wire, two of the characters on that show were supposedly from that area of Baltimore.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:58pm
post #59 of 65

my post is neither directed at the good constructive criticism nor at the good clean straight forward hard hitting advice in this thread -- 

it is directed at a handful of unfortunate back handed remarks -- while dispensing/receiving good advice that op asked for and obviously welcomes/appreciates -- some posters take advantage and say unpleasant things -- then right on cue op stands up for herself against a certain few ugly remarks they then try to shame you for not accepting the good advice -- clumsy bait and switch -- happens like clockwork around here --

why don't we all grow up -- you can give hard hitting straight forward recommendations without being an a$$ can't you?

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 2:19pm
post #60 of 65

A

there are such things as spelling it in your.own way.

You're right. There absolutely is such a thing as "spelling in your own way". For six year olds. In their case it's more important for them to get their thoughts across than to get bogged down in the minutiae of spelling.

Unless you are a six year old cake decorator then you need to work on how you present yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%