I Need A Cake Dummy Icing!

Decorating By erikabakes Updated 5 Nov 2014 , 3:02pm by -K8memphis

erikabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikabakes Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hey there!

So, I always use SMC on my wedding cakes. I am making a "collection" of cakes for a magazine shoot, and one tier of one of the cakes will be real to cut into. I need an icing that will last in transport and will also decorate as normal, while also tasting good. I obviously have to use the same frosting all over the cake that will have an edible portion, so it all looks the same. Can I use SMBC for this and just transport it carefully? After using SMBC, I can imagine using a crusting buttercream again. It is so much harder to work with! 

Thanks for all help and advice in advance. 

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

define transport

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

i mean have you never transported a cake before -- usually people chosen for magazine shoots have their act together -- and you want the icing for the non-dummy cake yes? your post is a little unclear --

you have to baby any kind of iced cake -- not quite understanding what you mean

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Nov 2014 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 6

AIf you use SMBC usually, I would just use that on the whole cake - fake tiers and the real tier. If you use anything else it could be a PITA for you, and the photos won't look like "your" cakes if you use a different medium to one you use normally. Transporting a dummy is no different to a real cake, except that it weighs less. You can still fridge it if thats what you normally do to help deliveries/fingers in icing etc.

erikabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikabakes Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 6

This is a wedding that is going to be published, the bride is an event planner and has hired all of her favorite vendors for the wedding. She ordered sheet cake from a bakery, and chose my design. 

I am making 5 small display cakes and one large wedding cake. The wedding cake will only have 1 tier of edible cake for them to slice into.

I guess my concern was that I won't be refrigerating the dummies, where as I usually transport SMBC cakes when they are chilled and firm. I didn't want them to be warm and get bumped or something. I think I'm seeing now that it ultimately doesn't matter, just be as careful with them as any of my cakes. 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 6

oh now i gotcha -- i knew there was more to the picture -- why not just chill them (the dummies) too -- i would for delivery --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%