Tree Trunk Cake

Decorating By ehhicks Updated 3 Nov 2014 , 4:51pm by ehhicks

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3301628/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Hi. I am making a cake like the top tier of this for a grooms cake. What are some good ways to get the tree trunk look around the cake? I will be using white chocolate buttercream icing. Thanks so much!!

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

AI would have used modeling chocolate or fondant on the outside. Never used buttercream for anything else than fillings and piping. But am keen to hear now how to... :)

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 5

AI did a tree trunk as a top tier of a "duck dynasty" cake in crusting buttercream. I piped vertical lines using 1M tip, gently smoothed using the Viva method and used a toothpick to add some lines and knots and gently smoothed again.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 5

I did this tree trunk cake just using buttercream:

Recently I was asked to make a trio of reptile cakes for a young boy's birthday.  My only "real" direction was that each each cake needed to be roughly the same size and the animals needed to be realistic looking.  Each cake is based on a 2-tier cake, and all the animals have a RKT core that ws then covered with modeling chocolate.  All the reptiles were sculpted based on toys I bought from the dolalr bin at our local Toys R Us.  The tree frog seemed to naturally fit on a tree stump.  The tree stump was rough iced in buttercream and then airbrushed for a bark effect.

I just used brown buttercream rough-iced in an up and down motion.  At the end I hit it with a little black in my airbrush to darken it and bring out all that texture.  The limbs were just RKT put on with a skewer.

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I don't have an air brush machine but knowing a technique to apply the icing helps a lot

Thank yall so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%