Toothpicks/skewers In Fondant Question

Decorating By krys121 Updated 3 Nov 2014 , 2:02am by maybenot

krys121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krys121 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 4:32am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new at selling cakes (I've made them for family and friends for a while but only recently have gone the business route). 

I have a question regarding fondant figures and designs. For those of you who use fondant and may have toothpicks or wooden skewers holding them together: do you find it necessary to send any kind of warning with customers about this (other than verbally telling them)?

I never would have thought twice about it until my lawyer hubby said something about the liability. Just wanted to see if he was over-thinking things or if I should start doing this. :)

Thanks! :)

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 7:43am
post #2 of 6

AHmmm...good question! I don't give anything in written, but explain the person who collects the cake how to cut it, what to eat, what not etc...

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 9:48am
post #3 of 6

Yes, I type something up and put it on the lid of the cake box, but also verbally say it at delivery.  My blurb says something along the lines of "... your cake contains the following inedible items.  Please remove prior to serving." and then bullet point list the items (ie wooden dowel as support inside the .....[figurine, tier, etc]).  I include the really obvious too (ie ribbon).  I also list items that I have used edible support like spaghetti - just to say, its ok to digest but may not be texturally nice or tasty.

I use the same piece of paper for my logo and some other 'advertising', and a 'thankyou for your order'.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 6

AI use uncooked spaghetti instead of toothpicks. I also let the customer know.

krys121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krys121 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the feedback! That helped! :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 2:02am
post #6 of 6

I let people know about inedibles, but I also use uncooked spaghetti or buccatini whenever possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%