Royal Icing Took Long Time To Dry And Some Have Orange Peel Look! Anybody???

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 31 Oct 2014 , 12:46pm by ypierce82

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have never had this happen before with various royal recipes.  This time I just did the regular Wilton recipe.  The cookies took a long time to dry and some of them have a weird orange peel texture to the surface.  Anyone?  :(

7 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

AThey usually take longer to dry if it is humid in your house. I know that mine take forever to dry if it has rained. Try drying them in front of a fan or in the oven with just the light on. The orange peel texture I have no idea about, sorry.

Jopalis Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 4:23am
post #3 of 8

No...I live in dry as dust Southern CA.  I think I made it way too runny. I just wish I had a "go to" recipe that worked every time. I have tried Wiltons, Antonias, glace, etc.  I don't do them often enough to get good but get disappointed that they don't look better.  Another odd thing... my Americolors seem to have gone "off". I have had some of them a very long time but I never heard of them going bad per se.

dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 6:09am
post #4 of 8

AHave you tried Sugarbelle's icing recipe? I've been using it exclusively for a very long time and have not experienced any issues whatsoever.

I don't dry my cookies in front of a fan, but I have heard that's a great way to go about it. Can you explain the "orange peel" texture a bit more in detail?

dirtycakes Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 6:17am
post #5 of 8

AAbout the Americolor gels, I have had a few get really thick and chunky, like they've dried out a bit. I just toss those in the trash, they don't mix in smoothly for me once they get like that.

Jopalis Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 7:31am
post #6 of 8

I will check out Sugarbelle's recipe. I think it was her video I was watching.  Re the orange peel...just that.  Surface was not smooth and shiny.  More like the skin of an orange.  I think it was just too wet.  Seems it is too thick and then I am trying the 10 second thing and next thing I know it's too thin.  If I did it more I would get better.  The Americolor was odd.  I added so much super black to get black and it looked more like Hunter Green.  Sometimes if a Wilton would get thick and chunky I would add some glycerin and mix it up and it would be fine but didn't seem to work with the Americolor. I love them otherwise.  Just didn't use up fast enough I guess.  Thank you for your support! Some of these people's cookies look so neat and professional. I would love to be able to get control of the icing issue and make mine look much nicer....

dirtycakes Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 8:01am
post #7 of 8

AA good tip to remember is that the colors will deepen with time. I learned that the hard way once when I had the perfect shade of red turn into a dark burgundy/maroon as it dried on the cookie. When I need black, I'll get the royal icing to a dark gray and let it sit. You'll be surprised how the color really does continue to develop.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 8

I use the Sugarbelle recipe, too. Try it, I think you'll like it. Regarding the black, try adding some cocoa powder to the white icing, stir, and then a drop or 2 of the black. I do it this way and it works like a charm. It is much easier to go from brown to black than it is white to black, and if I leave it sit for a few hours, its a really nice, rich black. If I need a brown, I don't use gel color at all, I use the cocoa powder and it tastes wonderful! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%