What Is The 'hot New Trend' In Baked Goods In Your Area? :)

Business By countrycakes Updated 11 Nov 2014 , 11:45pm by Magic Mouthfuls

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 20

The title says it all....what is the 'new going thing' or 'hot new trend' in your area for baked goods? 

I am dying to make a 'naked cake'...and NOBODY close to me has even heard of it! :( Cakepops are a hot thing...and very elaborate 'gourmet' flavored cupcakes....

Just wondering about the other parts of the world. ;)

19 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 20

Cakepops, truffles and very elaborate cupcakes are still the big thing around here.  Oh and donuts!  A new shop opened up and it's all anyone can talk about.  I haven't been because I don't care for donuts but apparently they are pretty awesome.

I did notice that there are a few European style bakeries popping up.  I was trying my hardest to hunt down some macaroons to buy for a friend who adores them but none of the bakeries I always buy from does them.  So I googled and found one bakery and that one only offers them at special times :sad: 

I'll be glad when more bakeries that offer a wide range of desserts besides cakes, cupcakes and cakepops open up.  I make my own cakes but when I want a fun dessert or a box of cannoli or chouquettes etc. we don't have anything like that to buy from in the 3rd largest city in Missouri.  Or they are hiding from me very well.  And that is very possible too :-P 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 20

The bakery display looks the same as it did decades ago with the exception of the Waffles dipped in chocolate icing which is the new donut idea.  I'll pass on that one.

same cake, same cupcakes, same donuts.  nothing new under the lack-of-sun in my Alaska town.:roll:

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 20

European style pastries and all natural or vegan baked goods. Heaven and hell, lol.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 20

*PS invest in high quality chocolate while the prices are still reasonable :wink:

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 10:21am
post #6 of 20

Cakepops have been and gone and cupcakes are just hanging in there, but not as big as they were 12-18 months ago.

Naked cakes and hessian/burlap are huge.  I've made 3 naked cakes in the last month.  Sorry they don't do it for me.  Setting the cake up in some exotic kind of way is very in.  Check the photo, I'm doing this kind of thing just about every weekend.

Candy buffets are on their way out and dessert buffets are the latest thing.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

... I've made 3 naked cakes in the last month.  Sorry they don't do it for me.

Your photo is lovely, an elegant rustic look. (I, too, don't usually like naked cakes. My first thought when I see one: Uh, oh, they ran out of icing.)    

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 20

Bob Diamond's daughter (the fired investment banker in the UK)  recently held a wedding for his daughter.  He spent several million on it and she had a naked cake, of all things…

I actually did not care for the $200,000+ dress or cake myself, I feel several million dollars on a wedding could have been better spent.  Also, not sure of the need to impress others by spending excessive money on something…although I'm sure his guests had a great time at the wedding.  I'm not saying not to have an expensive wedding, I am saying the motive behind it should be a good one.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 20

cakepops are thankfully quite dead around here, cupcakes are barely hanging on.  I've been doing well with brownies.  Cakes are always good.

pamlovestobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamlovestobake Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 20

AFondant everything! My area is blowing up with fondant cakes and cupcakes, cakepops are on decline but a few still make them. Also patisserie's and chocolate shops are popping up around here.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 20

A[@]810whitechoc[/@], your naked cake IS beautiful, it's not as naked as some, which I like! A bit of a modesty in a cake, that's what we all need!

Actually I don't mind the way it is displayed, although the open drawers in the dresser bother me, I just want to go up and close them all. Guess I'm a bit more OCD than I thought!

810whitechoc Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Your photo is lovely, an elegant rustic look. (I, too, don't usually like naked cakes. My first thought when I see one: Uh, oh, they ran out of icing.)    

My first thought is usually, you've seen the photos of the decorated cakes I can do and you just want me to barely cover the thing.  Oh, that's  cash in your hand... yeah I can get over myself and make this :D

810whitechoc Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

@810whitechoc, your naked cake IS beautiful, it's not as naked as some, which I like! A bit of a modesty in a cake, that's what we all need!

Actually I don't mind the way it is displayed, although the open drawers in the dresser bother me, I just want to go up and close them all. Guess I'm a bit more OCD than I thought!

Haha,, I know what you mean, you should have seen it before the flowers were in the drawers, it looked like the place had been burgled.  This was in a marquee and at the entrance they had a stack of 4-5 very old and ratty looking suitcases in much worse condition than the ones under the cake.  I was itching to put them out in the garbage and tidy that place up!!!!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 20

I made cake pops last Christmas and everyone was asking me what they were. :?  I know I'm in Podunk, Nowhere, but come on.

loloharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loloharp Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 20

I build an analytics software that track the latest trends in pop culture. I have it running on my office but I put up the current trends on my website. cakehollywood.com You can explore the new trends that are based on movies, music and tv shows. This is the direct link: https://cakehollywood.com/analytics hope it helps. 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 12:08am
post #16 of 20

Quote:

I, too, don't usually like naked cakes. My first thought when I see one: Uh, oh, they ran out of icing

It's funny.  Last week I made a Croquembouche.  My first thought as I was doing the final decorating with fresh roses was.... Oh gosh, it's really no different to a Naked Cake.  

Yet, when was the last time someone looked at a Croquembouche and said 'did they run out of icing'?

I've been getting quite a few orders for naked cakes - always decorated vintage style with fresh flowers.  Of course, the Client loves the trend, and I love the trend, but I always worry what the guests will think of my cake decorating skills.  And yes,  I have had venue operators give that 'look' when I'm setting up.  I must remind myself that baking a perfect edge, accurate torting, consistent filling and arranging flowers is just as much the skills we are being paid for, as being able to ice buttercream or polish fondant with flare.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 12:59am
post #17 of 20

ASo sorry for the Bump but I want to follow this thread for holiday inspiration.

CBM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBM Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 20

Do you price the naked cake the same as an fully decorated cake?  I've been asked a few times about the naked cake but I just don't get it.  Won't the cake dry out faster if left out for a few hours?  I guess I'm too much about the decorating but if this is going to become the 'new' thing, I'll have to jump into it for the duration!  Dessert bars are also becoming popular in my area.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 9:55pm
post #19 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBM 

Do you price the naked cake the same as an fully decorated cake?  I've been asked a few times about the naked cake but I just don't get it.  Won't the cake dry out faster if left out for a few hours?  

I charge the same. It's hard to do a naked cake perfectly so it doesn't look like old Auntie May threw it together at the last minute!

The cake dries out faster, but not in a few hours. You just explain to the bride that that will happen - no juicy BC on the edges to keep all the moisture inside. 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 20

I charge whatever the job costs - regardless of whether its a cupcake, naked cake, fondant cake, wedding, birthday or whatever.  Ingredients/Materials + Labour (estimate of hours) + utilities + some extra % for profit if I feel that the job can handle it.  Each job is individually quoted - but the more I do, the quicker this becomes.

So, yes a naked cake takes about $20 less ingredients than a fondant cake + about 1 hour less to decorate (assuming no extra details over the fondant).  But naked cakes look best decorated in fresh flowers, fresh fruit something real - and often that decoration can be more expensive.  Fresh flowers in cake topper pot from the florist for example might cost $40-$60.  So, cost out the ingredients/materials and work out how much labour it takes to perfectly bake, torte, fill, dowel, stack, arrange  etc etc (there's no hiding mistakes in a naked cake).   

My favourite naked cake is chiffon with SMBC.  I make it the day prior.  I never refrigerate and I tell clients/venues never to refrigerate, but not to put in the sun or in front of the fireplace.  I have always made an extra 'cake' with the same batter for me - and I eat the first slice approx the same time I am guessing the event is eating.  That way I know exactly what experience my customer is eating.  And yes, 1 day later it is mine blowing delicious.  I then eat the remaining cake over the next week and I would never say dried out is ever my experience in any bite.

I would like to do a naked cake with mud cake - I think it would improve with age - dark choc mud with a pretty pink SMBC.  

I have not yet done a naked cake with butter cake type recipes, but really - a naked cake will last just as long as your average cupcake.

As the ingredients are so cheap - why not do a trial for yourself and eat bit by bit over a week -  we must all suffer (:wink: LOL) in the name of research - and do the freshness test for yourself on your favourite recipe.

Quote:

I've been asked a few times about the naked cake but I just don't get it.

I think the 'love' for a naked cake is a nostalgic and romantic look back at the Victoria Sponge cakes that grandma used to make - with nothing more than just a dusting of icing /confectioners/powdered sugar  on top - and a hint on the edges that cream and jam was inside.  It's nostalgic, old world, vintage and hence, very chic.   Again, the cake lace mats that are so in vogue right now, are also a nostalgic, old world, vintage reminder of grandma's doileys and lace tablecloths.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%