Droopy Fondant

Decorating By kostakakes Updated 29 Oct 2014 , 10:07am by Edible Art Co

kostakakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kostakakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 4

AHello!I live in Phoenix Az, which brings me to my problem. Obviously, it gets really hot in the summer. I've made several really cool cakes over the summer, and the fondant on all of them had practically drooped and melted down. Is there a way to stop this other than keeping the houses at 70º?

3 replies
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure about AZ but I live in Florida where the humidity is stifling! I have to close all of the windows and doors, turn the AC down to subzero and then sometimes have to put a fan on my cakes to keep fondant from melting like the wicked witch. Maybe someone else has a better answer but I have not come across anything more helpful. I watched an episode of Ace of Cakes where they were decorating in an area that was humid and they had to create a dry room that was sealed off, air conditioned and they had to have several fans going. Sorry I'm not more helpful. 

kostakakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kostakakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 4

AHey, every bit helps! My cakes are ok at MY house. Maybe the people I make them for don't keep them as cool? Idk. Do you think adding Just a bit of tylose to my fondant would help it hold up better?

Edible Art Co Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edible Art Co Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:07am
post #4 of 4

It's always a good idea to let the customer know how to keep their cake at its best! If they're not going to eat it the same day, for example, I like to check that they have somewhere cool/dry (or room in the fridge) ready to keep it in. Unless they have experienced softening fondant etc, they probably don't know how to store them. Regarding tylose, do a search or just try mixing some in for yourself - I don't know how much will affect the taste but it will help the fondant stay firmer. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%